Contribute
Register

Unibeast not working with recent version of Lion Installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i3 h61n-usb3
CPU
i3-2105
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

I'm running into a problem where unibeast doesnt seem to take the 10-15 minutes to write to the USB. It takes like 30 seconds. But the end result is not a lion bootable USB. Its just about 10 megs of files unibeast has put onto the drive.

In Summary:
I'm using:
0. 2011 MBP to try to generate the bootable USB Thumbdrive
1. Patriot XT 16GB USB Thumbdrive
2. App store downloaded version of Lion (downloaded on march 13 2012)

I've:
1. Erased the thumbdrive.
2. Partitioned the thumbdrive to Volume Scheme: 1 partition with Formate: Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
3. Verified that the Lion install app is in my Applications folder.
4. Run Unibeast
5. Selected Mac App Store "Install Mac OS X Lion"
6. Selected Laptop Support (I've done with and without this option ticked)

7. Ended up with a quick "success" with the green circle/checkmark and 10 megs of files on the thumbdrive. This is not what I expect. It seems that the whole Lion installable image should be processed by Unibeast and placed on the thumbdrive.

I thought I followed the directions to a T, more times than I care to remember.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there something different about recent versions of the appstore version of Lion installer?

Do I have my head so far up my butt that I can't tell whats going on? - Did I miss some crucial bit of information?

I know that the USB thumbdrive works because I installed ubuntu on it to test it out, and that worked.

The Lion install app seems to be viable, I initiated the install on my MBP (and quit out of it to prevent it from being cleared out).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a screenshot of what the contents of my USB Thumbdrive look like post unibeasting...

Thank You.

Attachments

• unibeast.jpg
    unibeast.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 952
Did you have it in a USB 3.0 port?

Was the stick in the front or back?

Here is a visual.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTFpveAKUqQ[/VIDEO]

I had the same issue, I purchased Lion from the Mac App store on my Macbook Air which is running Snow Leopard(10.6.8). When I used Unibeast it finished copying in less than 2 minutes. I copied the Lion Installation file and Unibeast and put it into a Macbook Pro running Lion (10.7.2) and it started working. (Unibeast says about 2hrs) Im assuming you would need to run Unibeast on Lion OSX.
On my Macbook Air I tried 2 different USB Flash drives and 1 hard drive with no success.

Just try on another computer if you have access. Or go to the Apple store or Best Buy with the Lion Installation file and a copy of Unibeast. Good luck :)

Any update on your progress Chundernugget? I watched his installation attempts remotely for over an hour the other day, and he was doing everything correctly. He even re-downloaded Lion from the App Store, just to make sure his first download hadn't been corrupted. But no matter what he tried, UniBeast would simply not correctly create the Lion installation USB. So I recommended the other (non-UniBeast) method as well, but I haven't heard if this worked or not.

It is very odd that UniBeast just would not work for him...

TB

Hello all new user to the forums here.
Is there a work around for this problem yet as I'm having the exact same issue.

jester969 said:
Did you have it in a USB 3.0 port?

Was the stick in the front or back?

Here is a visual.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTFpveAKUqQ[/VIDEO]

Isn't the OP using a Macbook Pro to try to create the Unibeast stick? The MBP does not have USB 3.0.

No cpukid is using his hackintosh to create Unibeast. He is a member here on the forums.

Hello everyone.

After considerable effort and alot of help from a variety of folks, including BlueHornet, Veng58 and others, I am still unable to generate a usable stick from unibeast. Veng58 sent me a copy of Unibeast 1.0 which I tried. At least it reported that the operation failed (as opposed to 1.1 reporting success).

At this time, I am assuming that as iiwii says, I need to use lion to make this.
I'm not ready to install lion on my machine so I will have to try some other time.

Really unfortunate.
I've spent too much time on this project, and its time to cut my losses.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Try the alternative stick without using Unibeast

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E68QVFq4-c[/VIDEO]

Hi I did use that method. Thank you.

It turns out that I end up with some kernel panic, and the machine is being reported as an imac 8,1

Any ideas there?

The last thing that I see on the screen before the whole thing hangs is something about system uptime in nanoseconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back