Contribute
Register

Unibeast bootable USB not booting (ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 Mark 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya, sorry for my initial post being a question, however i am completely stumped.

With my rig, I've been trying to install macOS Sierra with the Unibeast tool. I followed the instructions perfectly on the tutorial page, however when it came down to me trying to boot off of the USB, it would go to a black screen, flash a white bar a few times around the screen, then either send me back into BIOS or try the second option in the boot order.

My specs:
-ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 Mark 1 motherboard
-Intel i7 6700k CPU
-G. SKILL 32GB DDR4 RAM
-WD 2TB HDD
-Samsung Evo SSD 256GB
-WD 3TB HDD
-Dual GeForce GTX 970 SLI
-Corsair Hydro H50

From what I have seen, there isn't any incompatibilities, however I may be wrong. I am running Unibeast on an 2015 iMac running Sierra.

I have tried making the USB twice. First time was with the GUID Partition Map and the default partition map.

When booting the USB I tried two ports in the front of my case, one 2.0 and one 3.0, and one 2.0 plugged directly in the motherboard.

Then again it could very well be my USB. It's a 16gb USB from staples (AKA dinosaur).

If you need any more info please let me know.

Thank you so much for helping me !
-Chroma

Just wanted to update this post and let everyone know that I finally got it to work. I got a successful Hackintosh build with the rig I have listed here, and nothing seems broken. For any future readers who were curious how I fixed it, I went to the store and bought a brand new USB.

What was the old USB stick? What was the new USB stick?

I found that the cheap $3 to $9 USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 sticks sold at my local Fry Electronics are v-e-r-y slow, so now I only do Corsair Voyager (rubber coverings - I'm anal about ESD, Electro Static Discharge). That's not to say that all Corsair sticks are good mind you, I got a bad one out of five. And Corsair makes three different grades for 32GB USB3.0 sticks, "good," "better" and "best," I guess.

Nope, I think I would rather follow the suggestions here and just go with San Disk Cruzer USBs.

I have two 4GB OCZ Rally 2 sticks over 20 years old and they are still working fine. They're my gold standard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back