Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I got some new RAID drives and I wanted to reinstall fresh. I downloaded the new Unibeast, plop my app store version of Install Mac OSX Lion.app in /Applications and run Unibeast -- installs fine. No errors [I can attach the logs if you'd like, I have them saved but they are uninteresting.]

However, when I reboot and select my USB-HDD I get this weird error. Thinking it was just a bad USB I bought a new 16gig drive and same error. I tried the drive on another computer and got the same error, so I believe there is something wrong with my process or Unibeast. The version of Lion.app I am installing from is the original from the app store the day it was released. I downloaded it and burned the whole .app to a DVD so I wouldn't have to re-download it every time I wanted it.

Is it possible Unibeast needs a different version of the lion app than the one I am using to create the USB drive?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 12.55.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 12.55.08 PM.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 200
  • Installer Log 16-Jan-2013.txt
    18.6 KB · Views: 194
I realize this might just be a variation of the "boot0 error" problem in which case directing me to the most up to date method for manually installing chimera onto my usb would be mucho appreciated!

download Chimera 1.11.1 from http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3, unzip it and run it, pointing it at your USB.

I appreciate the help. The USB drive throws an OSX error about it not being initiated. I imagine this has something to do with the whole 4k block size on the new drive. I am going to pull out my original 8gig I know worked [because I have a working 10.7.4 that I am using right now.] I tried to dd the boot1h to the drive as well and while that got past the initial error, it still didn't work. So i believe I have worked it out. I will report back if I still have issues.

Thanks again

I just realized there's another board for unibeast issues. if the mods want to move this thread - have at it. apologies for posting in the wrong place

macman says that step 4 should take the longest, but on each drive i have tested this with, step 2 has always taken the longest. I have a bad feeling about even this attempt. any other ideas?

[SUCCESS -- kinda] Unibeast 1.6 Boot error

success! although there appears to be something very, very wrong with unibeast at this point.

i had to use my hack to build the install USB and once installed and booted I was able to get multibeast to install my necessary .aml files and get networking setup.

Im still having an issue with my bootloader but I am confident I can figure that one out as I am using a software RAID configuration.

Anyway, tonymac team - you guys need to look at what's going on. cakewalk and my hack both work and can create bootable usb just fine. same hardware. same lion.app -- so logic dictates that there is something wrong with the software.

success! although there appears to be something very, very wrong with unibeast at this point.

i had to use my hack to build the install USB and once installed and booted I was able to get multibeast to install my necessary .aml files and get networking setup.

Im still having an issue with my bootloader but I am confident I can figure that one out as I am using a software RAID configuration.

Anyway, tonymac team - you guys need to look at what's going on. cakewalk and my hack both work and can create bootable usb just fine. same hardware. same lion.app -- so logic dictates that there is something wrong with the software.

If you are crazy enough to use a RAID setup for a boot drive then you need to remember one thing. You must install the boot loader on every drive in the RAID by hand.

Thank you for the reply, Going Bald!

I trust this is nothing more complicated than dd'ing boot1h from the chimera package to my drives. question since you sound like you know what you are doing:

which partition?

my experience with linux would lead me to believe that disk0s3 and disk1s3 are my targets.

so using a separate boot drive, simply:

dd bs=1024 if=~/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s3
dd bs=1024 if=~/boot1h of=/dev/disk1s3

correct?

[I miss fdisk -l]

sh-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_RAID 999.9 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3