Contribute
Register

Understanding Terminology for Mac and PC converts

Motherboard
System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770/Q77
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Workgroup Server
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am kinda old and kinda new to this, since a few years back I been running Catalina on an optiplex 9010, i7 3770 CPU, 4000 HD graphics, then some months back I got an email to try out this custom built folders by OpenCore for ivy bridge builds, and said I could run all apple OS on my device, but there was a lot of setup first from Catalina at making a Hackintool config make file to add to the boot folder that is pre-built, so I tried it out and it boots on the regular PC, but when it installs Big Sur and up to Monterey it boots but always says the hard drive in disk utility is in 3 parts, stating com.apple.update. . . . . for the third section, and I don't want to go past Big Sur if possible, but updates keep coming saying update to Sonoma which will not work with the pre-built EFI OpenCore folder I have for ivy bridge, and it it stating that I am running a [iMacPro1,1] in the config.plist, which does not have dual monitors. I am just lost, and tried OpenCore legacy patcher, but I do not understand the terminology of the text {unsupported Mac};, is that what they are calling my dell optiplex 9010?
I am lost with the whole part right there. The legacy patcher does NOT ever make a bootable installer, and I have left it to us PC as host, iMac 14,2, iMac 18,2, and it never makes an installer that shows up in my boot selection. The only OpenCore I have able to work with my PC is the ivy bridge pre-build I found threw the link sent to my concerning the ivy bridge. Clover will not make a bootable installer of Big Sur and up that will boot on my PC, so I do not know what to do, but apple ask me how many iMacs am I gonna open, because the tries, right?I had some old ones that before I built this mackintosh and used unibeast and multicast Catalina on it, but can someone point me to pre-built folders for ivy bridge and like monterey? And do people call my optiplex an unsupported Mac?

Thank you in advance.

I am kinda old and kinda new to this, since a few years back I been running Catalina on an optiplex 9010, i7 3770 CPU, 4000 HD graphics, then some months back I got an email to try out this custom built folders by OpenCore for ivy bridge builds, and said I could run all apple OS on my device, but there was a lot of setup first from Catalina at making a Hackintool config make file to add to the boot folder that is pre-built, so I tried it out and it boots on the regular PC, but when it installs Big Sur and up to Monterey it boots but always says the hard drive in disk utility is in 3 parts, stating com.apple.update. . . . . for the third section, and I don't want to go past Big Sur if possible, but updates keep coming saying update to Sonoma which will not work with the pre-built EFI OpenCore folder I have for ivy bridge, and it it stating that I am running a [iMacPro1,1] in the config.plist, which does not have dual monitors. I am just lost, and tried OpenCore legacy patcher, but I do not understand the terminology of the text {unsupported Mac};, is that what they are calling my dell optiplex 9010?

I am lost with the whole part right there. The legacy patcher does NOT ever make a bootable installer, and I have left it to us PC as host, iMac 14,2, iMac 18,2, and it never makes an installer that shows up in my boot selection. The only OpenCore I have able to work with my PC is the ivy bridge pre-build I found threw the link sent to my concerning the ivy bridge. Clover will not make a bootable installer of Big Sur and up that will boot on my PC, so I do not know what to do, but apple ask me how many iMacs am I gonna open, because the tries, right?I had some old ones that before I built this mackintosh and used unibeast and multicast Catalina on it, but can someone point me to pre-built folders for ivy bridge and like monterey? And do people call my optiplex an unsupported Mac?

Thank you in advance.
Do you want to install a newer version of MacOS than Catalina on your system? If so, officially the newest version that is supported on your system is MacOS Big Sur. Monterey and later dropped support for the HD4000 CPU integrated graphics.

OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) is a software designed to allow unsupported Macs (real Apple Macs, not hackintoshes like your system) to install newer MacOS versions. You are on your own if you decide to use it on your system as the developer has said it is intended to be used on real Macs only.

That said, your system hardware is no longer supported on MacOS Ventura and Sonoma (the integrated CPU graphics and the CPU are both not supported) so I am not surprised if OCLP calls your system an "unsupported Mac".

I believe you have to start by creating a MacOS installer USB stick yourself using your Catalina system. Various methods are available, such as :

I been running Catalina on an optiplex 9010, i7 3770 CPU, 4000 HD graphics,
Rather than trying to make Sonoma or Ventura "work" on un-supported hardware with OCLP it would make more sense to spend a small amount of money on a newer system with UHD630 graphics which are fully supported. There are many Dell or HP prebuilts with UHD630 iGPU CPUs that will work. Do some research into that.

Start by looking at Intel's website for Coffee Lake and Comet Lake CPUs that have the UHD 630 iGPU. i5's and i7s are of course preferable to i3s.

Last edited:
All of these CPUs are fully supported by Sonoma, no OCLP needed to make them work.

Screen_Shot_15.jpg

Here's one example of how low cost some of these 6 core i5-8500 refurbs are. Look at HP 600/800 G4 models.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

A Dell Optiplex model desktop (i5-8500) will also work with minimal problems. 5060 or 7060 are the model #s.

Last edited:
Back