I7 6700K
Graphics
2 x EVGA 980GTX Ti SLi
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi Guys,

I have finally been able to reach the OSX installer after weeks of messing around but i am now faced with the installer not being able to format my target drive, i think it has a problem unmounting the disk resulting in this error?

Erase process has failed.
Unmounting Disk
Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed.

Operation failed...

I have already tried physically remove the said SSD and connecting it to my macbook via USB and used DISKUtility to format it, but even after doing it this way i am still unable to select it as a target disc when i reach the installer!

Any help massively appreciated.

Thanks
Cyon

**UPDATE** i tried formatting via USB again and this time it recognised the SSD but when i selected it, it shows the error:

"OS X could not be installed on your computer

Unable to unmount volume for repair
Quit the installer and restart."

I have already tried restarting but results in same error. o_O
not even sure why it would need a repair when i just this second formatted via USB!

**UPDATE** i tried formatting via USB again and this time it recognised the SSD but when i selected it, it shows the error:

"OS X could not be installed on your computer

Unable to unmount volume for repair
Quit the installer and restart."

I have already tried restarting but results in same error. o_O
not even sure why it would need a repair when i just this second formatted via USB!

What SSD are you using and how is it connected to your system?

The way that I originally checked out my ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard to confirm that the hardware was good was to install Window 10 free evaluation.

Good modding,
neil

Same problem here! Installed on SSD but can't boot.

Anyone?

What SSD are you using and how is it connected to your system?

The way that I originally checked out my ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard to confirm that the hardware was good was to install Window 10 free evaluation.

Good modding,
neil

Cheers but the Samsung EVO is working 100% i have checked. Its connected in Sata port 1 on my mobo and all other drives have been removed to eliminate any conflicts. The issue is with El Capitan not being able to unmount the SSD in prep for the install. Looked all over this forum and some people reporting similar issues but no resolve documented.

Just wanted to document my findings regarding Skylake and Asus Maximus VIII Hero. I managed to boot to OSX desktop using 14,2 profile from clover configurator with NO other options. However i can only manage to install via USB, thats to say, i had to slave my SSD with a sata to usb converter, and use my bootable clover EFI on a USB stick to reach the OSX installer.

El Capitan desktop can only be reached after the initial install with the bootable USB stick still connected and with the SSD connected via sata to usb converter, and only after the automatic reboot that occurs after successful OSX install.

Now i presume this occurs because there is an EFI partition active before (and thus after) the restart so it boots off it? I have tried creating an exclusive EFI partition on the SSD by installing Clover and when that didn't work, i swapped out the Clover folder with the one from my bootable USB (this guide explains how at point 5), however the BIOS still never sees an UEFI partition on the SSD, slaved via my converter or connected as disk 1 on the internal sata channel.

Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but there must be a way that i can boot off the EFI on my SSD?
I believe this has something to do with my error listed earlier in this thread where the installer was unable to unmount the drive and hence i was forced to install El Capitan with the sata 2 USB converter.

I have removed my GFX cards out the equation... both 980's are detached and im using the onboard Intel HD graphics via HDMI, if that helps anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back