Contribute
Register

Unable to install macOS Sonoma 14.4?

If you are using OCLP, software update will automatically tell you to download the full installer, you have to revert the OCLP patches and restart and possibly clean your NVRAM and then you can do the smaller size incremental updates

I know I can dl and run the latest full installer - that's how I installed the last update. I'd like to get the small 1-3 GB incremental updates back, not just for Monterey where they still work but also for Sonoma.

Clover is in a separate EFI with exact same kexts, ACPI and settings in config.plist incl. platform info. That's never caused any issue for years. As a matter of fact, Clover was first, then OC followed ;)

Thanks for the hint that OC 0.9.9 was just released a few hours ago.

So, Cosmix: were you able to update to Sonoma 14.4 from 14.3 via the small 2GB OTA update in Software Update? Mind that to see the real size it's necessary to click onto "More Info" (!!)
Hello,
I updated the system using the full installer ...
I did it so, because at the same time I needed the full installer to create a USB installer ...

May be, next time I will try a "short" update ...
I keep reading about this ...

Cheers :)

If you are using OCLP, software update will automatically tell you to download the full installer, you have to revert the OCLP patches and restart and possibly clean your NVRAM and then you can do the smaller size incremental updates
oh right, reading your hint reminds me that I had read that somewhere in the past but obviously it didn't fully register, darn.. As a matter of fact, I AM using the root patch because of the legacy Wi-Fi card..

I'll uninstall OCLP root patch, try again and report back!

@Cosmix thanks, gotcha!

If you managed to have just the incremental 2GB update install in Sonoma, can you please share all necessary settings (or best even your config.plist with individual data scrubbed).
My computer (at left) updated from 14.3.1 to 14.4 using Software Update (2+ GB). OC is version 0.9.8. EFI is posted below. (Be aware that I always delete the line items with Boolean "NO" values, everywhere in config.plist.)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
YES @robi42 , you were spot on :thumbup:

Here consolidated what worked for me:

1. OC:
a) Misc > Security > SecureBootModel: Disabled (After successful update you can again choose the one matching your Mac model from PlatformInfo, if you want to)
b) NVRAM > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82
> csr-active-config | 00000000 (= SIP fully ON). Maybe 03080000 works, too - someone else feel free to try
> boot-args | revpatch=sbvmm (proved to be necessary even though the MacBookPro15,4 chosen by me is Sonoma compatible)

2. revert OpenCore Legacy Patcher root patches, if installed:

3. System Settings: If the expected macOS Update doesn't show up: in Terminal, run:

softwareupdate --list

Check again in System Settings if the macOS Update now shows up.

4. Click onto "More Info" to verify if indeed the small 1-3 GB incremental update is being offered :thumbup:

For more info also check https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-14-4-update.329194/page-3

@wstrohm thanks for your EFI. Impressive how few patches and kexts it contains compared to my old Notebook's EFI.

Last edited:
Code:
revpatch=sbvmm
also did the trick for me.

I've tried this but I still get the "do not proceed" symbol when booting into the installer from the open core menu. I've tried OC 0.9.3 through 0.9.8.Im not using the update through system settings. I'm using the install file downloaded from gibmacos.
I'm having this problem too. Were you able to figure it out?

I'm having this problem too. Were you able to figure it out?
Hello,
Download Sonoma macOS from Apple repo :

Then create a USB installer :

Cheers :)

Well, I tried it again from the system update and it worked. I did disable the intel bluetooth kexts before I tried a second time. Maybe that was the trick. Now that I am on 14.4.1, I added them back and it seems to work fine.

Back