Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
I was using a Seagate Barracuda SD3000DM001 3TB for my backups until recently. I'm not able to initialize the harddisk anymore. I do get a initialization message once I log into Mac OS X Mojave, but even if I click on the initialize button, it still doesn't show up as an initialized harddisk in the disk utility. What's also strange is that it does recognize the SD3000DM001 name of the harddisk, yet it fails to classify the correct storage size. It just shows 4.9 GB with an asterisk, instead of the almost 3TB that it's supposed to display.

I took the HDD out and I connected it to my Windows 10 laptop via a SATA docking station and the Windows disk management utility only shows 3.86 GB of unallcated storage and when I click on initializing disk, with either the GUID Partition Table or MasterBootRecord style, I always get a Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Is this harddrive broken beyond repair or is there still a way to reinitialize it? I would even delete everything on it if I could get it to work again...

EDIT: I'm doing a disk surface test with the AOMEI Disk partitioner software and it shows only damaged sectors so far... I guess I can throw the HDD away?

Last edited:
Poor reliability for those particular drives and most of the 3tb drives seemed to be considered worse than their 2 or 4 tb brothers. There is a possibility the problem is with the controller board not the disc but from what you say I think the disc or heads themselves are at fault seems more likely. If you have an identical drive its simple to swap controller boards but without exactly the same model this is unlikely to give you any more info. This site has an interesting set of data on drives reliability - Backblaze

Last edited:
I was using a Seagate Barracuda SD3000DM001 3TB for my backups until recently. I'm not able to initialize the harddisk anymore. I do get a initialization message once I log into Mac OS X Mojave, but even if I click on the initialize button, it still doesn't show up as an initialized hard disk in the disk utility. What's also strange is that it does recognize the SD3000DM001 name of the hard disk, yet it fails to classify the correct storage size. It just shows 4.9 GB with an asterisk, instead of the almost 3TB that it's supposed to display.

I took the HDD out and I connected it to my Windows 10 laptop via a SATA docking station and the Windows disk management utility only shows 3.86 GB of unallocated storage and when I click on initializing disk, with either the GUID Partition Table or MasterBootRecord style, I always get a Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Is this harddrive broken beyond repair or is there still a way to reinitialize it? I would even delete everything on it if I could get it to work again...

EDIT: I'm doing a disk surface test with the AOMEI Disk partitioner software and it shows only damaged sectors so far... I guess I can throw the HDD away?

I remember I had a similar issue with a similar hard disk some time before. Your hard disk most likely has a hardware problem. I would discard it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back