Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have had a very stable system for several years. After the latest SL OS upgrade (I think it was 2013-002), the system sticks on the Apple startup screen and hangs. In using the MB disk to check what was going on, it shows a kernel panic, (photo below).

MB is GA-P55M-UD4 F9

In reading the various posts, I am not certain whether I should use the update helper and what I should be doing.

Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• kernel panic unable to find drver acpi.jpg
    kernel panic unable to find drver acpi.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 316
Hi ,thats an 1156 socket cpu and doesn`t need the update helper ,not sure what the update is ?were you on 10.6.3 or something and going to 10,6,8 ? the acpi is a pretty major panic ,and you might need to reinstall

Thanks for the quick reply and confirming the updater was not needed.

As far as what happened, I am not entirely certain. The updater was the normal Apple updater prompt an update was available (I was not trying to go to a new OSX version), and it appeared to load normally. It was a fairly large (around 220 MB) update. Here is Apple's description --

Name and information link

Released for

Release date
Safari 6.0.5
OS X Lion v10.7.5, OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3
04 June 2013
OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.4 and Security Update 2013-002
Mac OS X 10.6.8, OS X Lion v10.7.5, OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 and v10.8.3
04 June 2013

After the update installed (without incident) the computer ran as before (I even checked the audio volume control which is the first sign of an audio kext problem). I did not do a cold boot, however.

I did have a UPS breakdown (the batteries failed after 5 years of use), and the computer turned off. I was not there when it happened, so I don't know if there were any warning messages. Initially, when it was repowered, it started up, went to the desktop, and then simply died. I checked the HDD driver cables, and found the power cable was loose, and reattached.

In the past when I have had problems (twice over the audio kexts), it was a simply matter of running MB and taking out the offending non-legacy kext.

I first thought the power loss might have corrupted the HDD, but I am not certain whether this error would have resulted. I tried to run Disk Warrior to check for file errors, but could not get Disk Warrior to run.

acpi driver is from memory the main driver for the system and something sounds corrupt on the hdd ,have you tried booting into it with iboot or rboot ? if it will boot with those get to disk utility and check the hdd if not try with the osx disk and when it gets to the loading screen of the install use the disk utilty to check the hdd

just a thought i take it you have a lot of data on that hdd it should still be there ,do you have another hdd you can load osx onto and access it and take it off because i think it will need a reinstall

Thanks for the advice. I will try it when I get home. There is a lot of data on the drive including photos (all backed up so not a big problem), but it raises the usual migration issues if the HDD has to be replaced. I had a similar problem with a Seagate drive on my Tivo, and it became corrupted on a power outage. That is my suspicion as to what occurred here, and I was trying to check the disk to confirm. I will try your suggestions to see if can see what is wrong with the HDD.

Tried Tony's directions first to reset BIOS to optimized settings. This did not change anything as far as kernel panic regardless of loading with IBoot or Disk Warrior as boot drive.

Then tried reboot using Snow Leopard install disk, and system booted into desktop without any apparent problems or any sign HDD was corrupted. From what I can see there is no mechanical problem with the HDD, nor is there any sign of file corruption on the drive.

One would think problem should be resolved by Multi-Beast reinstall, but I am going to check the kext library file first to see if there is any problem in this file.

Thanks again.

I am wondering now if it lost the cache boot file ,which with -f might have got you in but glad it looks like you may have fixed it ,without reinstall ,off to France for a week today so will not be on a computer for a week

Thanks again. Hope the weather is good and not rainy. Here in California we are in our hot and dry season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back