Contribute
Register

Unable to create Symbolic Link (Symlink)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77N-UP5-TH
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm still muddling through this build...

My wifes "home" directory is huge (she never trashes anything, it's about 120gb).
I have a 120gb SSD for my Root drive and a 1tb HDD partitioned into a Root backup, and a Local drive.
Since her "home" directory is too big for the Root SSD, I moved it to the Local drive and then linked her user account to the new Home Directory location. Then I created a backup on the Root backup drive of this setup.
Everything works fine at this time. I can boot from both drives.

I deleted the Users folder from the root drive and I need to create a symlink from the root drive to the new Home directory location on the Local drive. This is where I'm stuck.

I tried to create this symlink with SymbolicLinker without success. I get this issue which the creator noted in the "instructions" file:

"Why does the service freeze the Finder and then not do anything when invoked?

This is the #1 support question that comes to my attention. This is known to happen in Snow Leopard if your user account is denied permission to read or execute SymbolicLinker. Make sure that you have only one copy of SymbolicLinker installed, and that everyone has permission to read and execute the service."

I'm running mountain lion but the issue is the same.
I tried to create the Symlink in terminal without success.

My Security settings are set to "Anywhere"...
I made sure that I had only one copy of SymbolicLinker installed in my Services folder...
I can see it in my Contextual menu, but it doesn't create a symlink...
I made sure that everyone had permission to read and execute the service...

I am afraid to mess with Permissions in Disk Utility because the Home directory is on the wrong drive and last time I messed with permissions, it required a complete reinstall.

Incidently, I had this up and working a week ago, and had to reinstall, and now it doesn't work.
Any ideas?

Hey there,

I'm having similar issues, I wonder if you ever found a solution..

Hope you did!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back