Contribute
Register

Unable to boot Windows 10 (non EFI) from the Clover GUI? (Clover Legacy Boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3-F7 (Award BIOS)
CPU
Intel core i5 2500K
Graphics
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Dear community
I have been on OSX & Chimera for a couple of years now and when Clover came along the effort of the transition made me decide to wait a while and thus I stayed on Yosemite & Chimera for a long time.

Just recently I moved to El Capitan and then jumped straight away to Sierra. While Clover still has a lot of mystery to me I managed to get to a solid working Sierra, thanks to this site.

But here it come. I can not boot my Windows 10 (which is on a separate NTFS HDD) in the Clover GUI. Double clicking the Windows 10 HDD icon in the GUI has no effect.

Is that because it is not installed as UEFI? Am I missing something? What is the best way to fix this?

I do not want to reinstall the Windows 10 HDD to f.e. UEFI. I tend to run OSX most of the time but Windows is the family game machine and therefore also mission critical ;-). I browsed for solutions but so far I have not seen solution that does not require changing the windows HDD. I probably am missing the point here.

Summary of my system:
I run Clover Legacy Boot Mode, as recommended for 6 Series CustoMac desktops, on an BIOS based systems, the Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 (bios version F7) , with a Core i5 2500K and a GTX950 video card. I have a working
Clover-MacOS Sierra on a HDD and an existing Windows 10 on a SSD (NTFS).

What is the way to fix this so that Windows can be booted from the Clover GUI without require changing the windows HDD?

I have attached a screen shot of Clover Configurator - Boot Section

Thanks in Advance
Tony
Screen Shot Clover config boot section.png

Check or post your boot.log. Its listed under tools left in clover configurator.
I guess u just boot from the wrong partition.

At Clover screen how many Win10 icons do you see? How are they labeled?

Hello! I have the exact same problem. Did you find a solution for it? Greetings

At Clover screen how many Win10 icons do you see? How are they labeled?

@ Going Bald, the Clover GUI shows two Windows Harddisks HD1 & HD2. In the two screen shots below you can see it says "boot windows from legacy HD1" and "boot windows from legacy HD2" . (I guess the second windows HDD is the windows recovery partition). Both are not working...
Best Regards, Tony
Windows HD1.jpg
Windows HD2.jpg

since windows is installed on a separate hdd, reboot, press f12 to get into boot options and choose your windows hdd to boot , see what you get.
I am aware of the f12 boot option in the bios. Thanks & regards, Tony

Here is my Clover bootlog as well. Pls see attached uploaded file.

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 236
If Windows is not installed via UEFI (there will be a UEFI partion on the drive as in OSX if it is) then you can not boot to it via Clover that has been installed for booting to OSX via UEFI. If you exit clover, and the Windows drive is set as the next boot option in your UEFI, you may be able to boot to Windows that way. Maybe. Otherwise learn to appreciate F12, ASUS users are far less fortunate with regard to boot options. In my experience with my GA motherboards repeatedly using F12 for a specific OS can reset the UEFI to see that drive as the first boot drive.

Although you can find on the web "instructions" on how to change a Windows installation to UEFI doing that would be highly inadvisable. As in highly inadvisable.

A first world problem, to be sure.

I am aware of the f12 boot option in the bios. Thanks & regards, Tony
Scroll down all the way to the end button that label EXIT CLOVER and press enter. It should boot window.

If you want to boot windows through clover, then you should have to install windows in UEFI mode. I haven't succeeded yet with Legacy Windows on Clover.

After that you will be able to see an entry named "Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI" on the clover screen. This is applicable even if you are using Legacy Clover.

IMG_20161210_124009.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back