GIGABYTE GTX 470 Super over Clock
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this! I'm running 10.9 and have been for the last 9 months or so. Mostly smooth-sailing until today.

I decided to connect a new monitor - an Asus VX24AH running at 2560 x 1440 replacing the previously 1920 x 1080 monitor I had.

The monitor definitely works - it displays BIOS and OS selector as before - beyond that, the screen simply goes to sleep as it's not booting.

The graphics card I have is the GIGABYTE GTX 470 Super over Clock (which does support this resolution). I've tried booting in safe mode and also tried specifying the GRAPHICS MODE too - but to no avail. System will still boot if I reconnect to old monitors but obviously keen to use the new screen.

Does this change in resolution cause a problem? Can anyone suggest how to go about troubleshooting this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Andy

PS. Here's the rest of the system spec:
Motherboard: Gigabyte z77-DS3H
Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX 470 Super over Clock
8Gb RAM.

Last edited:
OK - I got it booting by unplugging the 2nd monitor and connecting the new Asus via the mini-HDMI output (previously using a DVI to HDMI cable). Unfortunately, it's only booting in 1920 x 1080 and there is no option in the System Preferences > Displays to change this to anything higher.

Anyone have any advice?

Just continuing this conversation I'm having with myself...

I've tried setting the higher resolution on boot using GRAPHICS MODE again but to no avail. I would expect that the graphics card would support the higher resolution on all outputs (it has 2 x Dual link DVI-I and 1 x mini-HDMI). The mini-HDMI to HDMI cable I'm using is v1.4 which should support this resolution.

I'm at a loss as to what else I can do. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Desmond,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your help!

I've been researching a bit about Nvidia drivers. To be honest, with Mavericks, it worked 'out of the box' without any additional driver requirements. That was, until I installed the new monitor and tried to get the higher, native resolution.

I'm going to get hold of another hard drive, clone the existing SSD, and see if an upgrade to Yosemite might resolve. If not, I can then look into installing the Nvidia drivers. Just a bit more research required as I'm unsure as to what release supports what cards and the requirement for CUDA support too.

Thanks again,
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back