Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
My Z87X box loaded the initial release of Mojave just fine and it is solid after at least 6 months now. However I tried to install the .1 and later the .2 updates but they both failed... I believe they complained about the wrong filesystem, as I'm running HFS+, not APFS.

So I cloned over to an APFS disk and retried, and it still failed but I don't recall what happened there as it was too long ago. Today it occurred to me to attempt an update on my B75M machine to test, and it still fails. I went to Software Update, it found the .4 update and downloaded it, then said restart needed to update, then I got the apple logo and it said "Updating software" or some such, right under the logo. The bar only moved over about 1/2" and then the screen blanked, and it rebooted, now back to the Clover select screen. Now I select the MacOS Mojave boot and it comes up in Software Update again, locates the update, and wants to do it all over again. And this is on the APFS-formatted spare disk. So I let it try again, and it failed exactly the same way. So I'm stumped... again.

Anyone seen this?

After the first reboot, is there an extra entry in Clover for you? It's supposed to boot into an installer entry, not your usual one.

Automatically update will not work when macOS Mojave on HFS+, need MacOS_Updater script, see below link.

I finally succeeded with a freshly formatted APFS disk, and a freshly cloned copy of my production boot drive. Installing the update did require 2-3 reboots where the progress bar barely moved for quite a while but if I let it alone, it would always finally proceed through and this morning after leaving the final boot last night it was done updating. And of course moving that disk back to BigMac works just fine now. Original problem must have been my impatience on the reboots, thinking it should be going faster. Oh Well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back