Motherboard
HP Elitebook 2570p-Clover
CPU
i7-3520M
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think I may have my power supply hooked up wrong. The atx connector on the MB has 24 pins (2x12). The atx connector from the power supply has only 20 (2x10). It's a no-brainer how to plug it in. But I noticed today that I also have a 4 pin connector on the same wire bundle that fits perfectly into the other 4 open spaces (pin 11,12 & 23,24).

I have never had this connected. It's always worked though. SHOULD IT BE CONNECTED?

The MB manual shows the assignments for open pins (11=12V, 12=3.3V, 23=5V, 24=GND). By these pins it says "Only for 2x12-pin ATX"

forgot to mention I have a new Silverstone sfx 430 PS

Some PSU have a 20/24 arrangement.
Look at both plugs.
There is usually a snap fit on the side so it works both ways.
Four pin clips on to 20 pin.
Check that four pin is for the motherboard and not something else.
Look at motherboard the last four pins on socket.
See if shapes of pins matches plug.

Or download manual for psu or check out manufacturer website

Thanks, Plugged in 4 and 20 pin, turned it on, works great. The manual was stetchy on that. I watched a few youtube videos and one said the reason for two is so some older boards and PS's would be compatible.

Funny thing is, the PS I replaced had 20+4 but I only had the 20 plugged in. It worked that way. I remember feeling a low-voltage "tingle" from the USB when I touched my metal desk and the cable end. Maybe this was the cause. Dunno.

Thanks for the reply.

BTW Silverstone makes a nice PS.

Funny thing is, the PS I replaced had 20+4 but I only had the 20 plugged in. It worked that way. I remember feeling a low-voltage "tingle" from the USB when I touched my metal desk and the cable end. Maybe this was the cause. Dunno.
I doubt it. The reason it worked was probably since your rig doesn't draw more power than the 20-pin can deliver. The extra four just weren't needed. The "tingle" thing has to do with grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back