Graphics
GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Several users have reported higher temps on the Gigabyte UD2 motherboard after updating to the the F10 bios, 10.6.4.

I found the following posts:

themac said:
I too experienced much hotter running with 10.6.4 plus F10 BIOS and DSDT (CPU A and B up about 10C) so reverted to F8 BIOS and DSDT. I got this behaviour with 10.6.3 too so not a 10.6.4 issue IMHO.

I also found the F10 DSDT broke the XHD BIOS fix that let me get rid of IOAHCIBlockInjector (hang on boot waiting for root device).

My build is one that has evolved since the early days so perhaps it's something I've done along the way that's causing the F10 high CPU temp issue.

I'm assuming there are other UD2 users that are not experiencing this issue, our great leader amongst them so what I will try if I can summon the willpower is a fresh install on my test drive using iBoot and Multibeast and report back.

However, if anyone has met and solved this problem I'd be grateful if you spoke up quickly!

cakemonster said:
For folks with high temps perhaps go to the CPU options in BIOS and turn on all the advanced CPU options (put to enabled). See lnx2macs post on this, but having C1e and the speedsteps etc brought my temps from 39-42 idle OC to 27-31 idle OC.

m2gab said:
An idle temp of 50 degrees is very high... with the stock cooler 39 idle is about right... did you select "load optimized defaults" in your bios when you updated from f8 to f10? If you do that, you are going to need to redo you setting for AHCP to get OSX booting. I have seen odd things happen after a BIOS update if you do not do this reset. I am fairly sure that Gigabyte also states this should be done after a BIOS update.

If you already did the above, check your vcore in the bios under the voltage settings... what is it set to? If your voltage settings are set to AUTO change them to NORMAL.

I think we could use some focused help with this.

Once I have rolled up to 10.6.4 is it possible to go back to the F8 bios and DSDT?

I'm not experiencing high CPU temps with 10.6.4 and F10, low to mid 30s for me. I am using the default bios settings except for AHCI and HPET.

Yes you can go back to F8 if you need to.

My ud2 boots at around 39 degrees with an open case and rises throughout the day as temps go up. I work in the loft of my house and the outside temps rise into the 90's

I'm not sure now if its the bios and 10.6.4 or just the working conditions I'm in.

Lerxst said:
My ud2 boots at around 39 degrees with an open case and rises throughout the day as temps go up. I work in the loft of my house and the outside temps rise into the 90's

I'm not sure now if its the bios and 10.6.4 or just the working conditions I'm in.

I'm thinking it's your working conditions- gets a bit hot as the temps go up outside- will look into it though. Make sure all of your Advanced CPU stuff in bios is set to Enabled instead of Auto to ensure proper speedstepping. Also boot into 32 bit mode and use MSR Tools for a (somewhat flawed) method of checking speedstep and turbo functions.

tonymacx86 said:
I'm thinking it's your working conditions- gets a bit hot as the temps go up outside- will look into it though. Make sure all of your Advanced CPU stuff in bios is set to Enabled instead of Auto to ensure proper speedstepping. Also boot into 32 bit mode and use MSR Tools for a (somewhat flawed) method of checking speedstep and turbo functions.

Tony,

I assume by Advanced CPU stuff you mean under MIT in the bios correct? Looking at those most are selectable as auto, normal or a host of other lesser amounts.

Lerxst said:
tonymacx86 said:

Tony,

I assume by Advanced CPU stuff you mean under MIT in the bios correct? Looking at those most are selectable as auto, normal or a host of other lesser amounts.

Ya- that stuff- on my UD2 it says either Auto/Enabled/Disabled just set all to Enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back