Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> UAD apollo twin | x Fax-modem-like noise from CPU activity leaking to speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
UHD 630
As the user here describes, I have this issue on my hack:

Same issue.
Sound a bit like an fax modem, when I move the mouse around or I open a window or close one, it gets worse and intensifies, or gets better temporarily.
No idea whether this is CPU or RAM related information that leaks to the speakers in form of noise.

There's also a base frying and sizzling, shifting constantly and it all doesn't happen with the same gear and an actual macbook connected to it. With the actual MacBook, the studio is silent, not a bit of noise.
Once the Hack boots, same system, same wires, same audio interface, already pre-bios it starts with its noise.
Gets worse when the os loads, and then when the desktop environment is up, the frying goes loud, up to the point where i don't wanna work with this setup anymore, just that i have to finish work on my current album and I cannot use the MacBook for this for legal reasons.

I want my hack, which is a powerful build, to stop frying up my sound, so that i can feel good about my professional audio build.
It must be possible to work with mac software without buying an actual mac!

Anybody got an idea what could improve my situation?
I connect the UAD via Thunderbolt on the back.
I will try via front ports now, just to be sure it's not that.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might come up with!
My OS is BigSur 11.6.6
I'm based on this build:

Best greetings from Europe

Last edited:
re-plugging the UAD had no effect.
I tried both Thunderbolt ports on the back and the one on the front, no difference.
In fact, good news is, I can successfully attach/detach the UAD with no issues while the computer is running.
Now I connected an M-Audio USB interface and the frying is still there.
This one is USB bus-powered, so this is obviously unrelated to the UAD.
Good news for other users who have the same suspicion.
How do I get rid of this noise leakage?

You're probably experiencing a ground loop. Try defeating the ground prong on the power cord of your monitors. You're not experiencing this with the MacBook because it uses a 2 prong plug where your desktop has 3 prongs.

You're probably experiencing a ground loop. Try defeating the ground prong on the power cord of your monitors. You're not experiencing this with the MacBook because it uses a 2 prong plug where your desktop has 3 prongs.
Thanks a lot, yes, that did it!
I connected the speakers to an extension with only 2 prongs per socket and they are silent now, amazing!

Much appreciated

Thanks a lot, yes, that did it!
I connected the speakers to an extension with only 2 prongs per socket and they are silent now, amazing!

Much appreciated
You're welcome! glad it worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back