Contribute
Register

UAD 2 Quad PCIE Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I don't know if I can help you.
But, I try a gigabyte motherbord, for some time (z370 gaming 7) And I had probleme with it. The UAD card where not detected at each boot, and other issues. So I go back to the asus prime and stay with the bios 1412 . I test the last bios and begin to have the same uad detection issue.
I never got your random restart.

Just an update for thoses with pcie UAD card.
I go back to a gigabyte gaming 7, and the cards work fine with the last F11 bios.
But, depending on your PC case, you can get problems.
If the cards or not properly plug in it will not start :
when you see the clover menu (bios finish booting)
You should see the led (of the UAD cards) at the back of you computeur blink from red to green.
If you don't see that, then bios don't detect them, or they are not properly seated (that is what happend most of the time ).
When the system finish the boot, and you have the driver properly loaded : the led should stay green all the time.

I even get that probelm with a pcie 4x alpin ridge card :
When you screw the cards on the case, it slightliy move the card to the back and break the connection with the motherboard.
Only pci 16x for video card don't get that problem, because they have a physical lock at the end of the pcie connector.

Hi!
I also got problems with my UAD cards since I added a second M.2 SSD (last two slots are used) . So I got 2 octo UAD cards and only at every third to fourth boot they are showing up.
I didn't have that problem when I was using just one M.2 SSD and 2 UADs pcie but the manual says this shouldnt be a problem.
need to test it more because this is a bit annoying :-D

Could it be that the total PCI Lane are full..?
Hi!
I also got problems with my UAD cards since I added a second M.2 SSD (last two slots are used) . So I got 2 octo UAD cards and only at every third to fourth boot they are showing up.
I didn't have that problem when I was using just one M.2 SSD and 2 UADs pcie but the manual says this shouldnt be a problem.
need to test it more because this is a bit annoying :-D
Could it be that PCILanes are full? a 8700K has 16 PCI Lanes, gtx1080ti uses x16, M.2 drive uses x4 (you have two you say), UAD uses a x1, and if you have a wireless card that uses x1, you do the math.. Some things are just not possible under 115x socket, thats why HEDT exists.

Check intel.ark for 8700K specs.

Good luck :)

Could it be that the total PCI Lane are full..?

Could it be that PCILanes are full? a 8700K has 16 PCI Lanes, gtx1080ti uses x16, M.2 drive uses x4 (you have two you say), UAD uses a x1, and if you have a wireless card that uses x1, you do the math.. Some things are just not possible under 115x socket, thats why HEDT exists.

Check intel.ark for 8700K specs.

Good luck :)

The Z370/Z390 chipsets proved 24 PCI-e lanes in addition to the 16 from the CPU.

The Z370/Z390 chipsets proved 24 PCI-e lanes in addition to the 16 from the CPU.
it doesn't matter how many PCI-e lanes the board has if the CPU can't handle them. If he had only one M.2 and added a second and then the problem occurs then it must be either because the M.2 Slot is sharing bandwith with a populated PCI slot (that is board design dependant) or simply because the CPU cant handle those many PCI-e lanes.

By your logic then I should be able to add a second GPU without an impact on PCI bandwith.. Even on my other build (9980XE+X299D 2) I haven't been able to go above three GPUs while the last one will go x8 instead of x16. 9980XE has 44 PCI-e lanes.

A further look for instance at the Asus website of the X299D 2 shows a relevant relation to CPU lanes in order to have more or less devices attached to your rig and functioning at full bandwith.

Perhaps someone may correct me with data if I'm wrong, no pun intended :)

it doesn't matter how many PCI-e lanes the board has if the CPU can't handle them. If he had only one M.2 and added a second and then the problem occurs then it must be either because the M.2 Slot is sharing bandwith with a populated PCI slot (that is board design dependant) or simply because the CPU cant handle those many PCI-e lanes.

By your logic then I should be able to add a second GPU without an impact on PCI bandwith.. Even on my other build (9980XE+X299D 2) I haven't been able to go above three GPUs while the last one will go x8 instead of x16. 9980XE has 44 PCI-e lanes.

A further look for instance at the Asus website of the X299D 2 shows a relevant relation to CPU lanes in order to have more or less devices attached to your rig and functioning at full bandwith.

Perhaps someone may correct me with data if I'm wrong, no pun intended :)

That still doesn't change the fact that you were wrong about there only being 16 lanes.

Typically, on Z370/Z390 motherboards, you will have two x16 slots that are linked to the CPU and some motherboards may have more x16 slots linked to PCH. If one of those are occupied, that one slot will have 16 lanes. If both are occupied, both will operate at x8.

The 24 lanes from the chipset are used for on board features such as ethernet, USB, SATA, etc. Whatever is left over are made available to PCI-e slots. In some instances, M.2 slots can share lanes with PCI-e slots but not always. It's motherboard specific how the lanes are distributed and can sometimes be configured to user preference in BIOS.

Here is an example of how it works on a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7:
5cd3aa5a_g7pcie.png

Source: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...2-pcie-question-about-pcie-lanes-sharing.html

X299 is an entirely different story.

Last edited:
That still doesn't change the fact that you were wrong about there only being 16 lanes.
I can't be wrong about 8700K having x16 PCI-e lanes, thats what the CPU can handle.
Typically, on Z370/Z390 motherboards, you will have two x16 slots that are linked to the CPU and some motherboards may have more x16 slots linked to PCH. If one of those are occupied, that one slot will have 16 lanes. If both are occupied, both will operate at x8.
Correctly said tere are two PCI that are directly linked to the CPU thus having anymore devices attached will use the free lanes linked to the PCH, here we can agree, still implies there must be some issue with PCI bandwith being shared, it is a fact that his setup doesn't activate the UAD, not creating alternate reality here.
The 24 lanes from the chipset are used for on board features such as ethernet, USB, SATA, etc. Whatever is left over are made available to PCI-e slots. In some instances, M.2 slots can share lanes with PCI-e slots but not always. It's motherboard specific how the lanes are distributed and can sometimes be configured to user preference in BIOS.
Totally agree, which why I mentioned if I quote "If he had only one M.2 and added a second and then the problem occurs then it must be either because the M.2 Slot is sharing bandwith with a populated PCI slot (that is board design dependant)" you are in agreement in this sentence I suppose.

In order to diagnose his problem we should have a diagram of how everything is connected and where, that is why I'm only making an assumption of a possible problem why his rig is not turning on the UAD, that is why my initial post wasn't a "confirmation" of the issue, but more of a self question to be made by the post creator and rethink if perhaps my assumption was correct or not.

The diagram you posted is related to a GA Z370-Aorus Gaming 7 which we don't know if that is the precise board the user has and shares the same logic behind my comment, which again, is just an assumption. I do not wish to lecture anyone, I'm just here to help. Saying "I'm wrong" only makes this thread an argument (which I find pointless tbh), not a helping post.

I'm off from this post then, wish the best of luck to @blueruarc and all the other users with issues.

Hi guys thanks for your help!

I'm using a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 Mainboard.
this is my setup:

additionally all SATA3 ports are used, 1 x LAN and USB 3

So if I'm understanding it right, my GPU is running at x8 and shares the other 8 lanes with my UAD2 card nr 1
because of the M.2 in the M2P slot the PCIEX4 runs at x2 mode

not sure about this M.2 - PCIEX16 switch, probably thats the reason why my system sometimes boots without both UAD cards and than after 2-3 reboots with both cards working (like now), 100% stable under big load.
I figured that the boot time is very short if the cards are showing up compared to when they aren't.

Since I dont use the Alpinridge card at the moment I can unplug it and see if this changes anything.

Attachments

• Aorus Gaming 7 M.2 bandwidth sharing.png
    Aorus Gaming 7 M.2 bandwidth sharing.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 52
Hi guys thanks for your help!

I'm using a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 Mainboard.
this is my setup:
View attachment 409862

additionally all SATA3 ports are used, 1 x LAN and USB 3

So if I'm understanding it right, my GPU is running at x8 and shares the other 8 lanes with my UAD2 card nr 1
because of the M.2 in the M2P slot the PCIEX4 runs at x2 mode

not sure about this M.2 - PCIEX16 switch, probably thats the reason why my system sometimes boots without both UAD cards and than after 2-3 reboots with both cards working (like now), 100% stable under big load.
I figured that the boot time is very short if the cards are showing up compared to when they aren't.

Since I dont use the Alpinridge card at the moment I can unplug it and see if this changes anything.

Yes, the PCI-e slot with the GTX 1080 is operating at x8 and the next closest full sized slot is also running at x8 in your current configuration. This should not be a problem. PCI-e 3.0 x8 is plenty for just about any video card.

If I were you, I would plug the second UAD 2 Octo card in to the PCIEX1_1 instead of PCIEX1_3 since PCIEX1_1 does not share lanes with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back