Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello,

Since few days, my Hackintosh boots very *very* slowly (5 minutes now, it was 15' few days ago). I did not changed anything, no update, nothing. The only strange things I can identify on the boot logs I see at boot time are about tw_flush on disk3, which is my bootdrive (crucial ssd).

What's happening ? Is my SSD going to die ? I don't know what I can provide to you to give precisions... So please tell me if you want some log file, EFI image, hardware specs etc :)

I'm quite anxious about that... Could you help me please ?

Many thanks for your help,

T.

Try a few of these apps and post the results here.

Here is the SMart report by DiskDril. What does it say, doctor ? :) end of life or still ok ? is that slow boot with tx_flush message linked to some ssd problem ?
Capture d’écran 2022-08-05 à 10.43.18.png

Ok :) Thanks ! So... I can't figure why I suddenly have such a slow boot, without having anything changed... I can't find really much helpful information about those tx_flush messages on which the boot seems to wait...
How can I figure what's wrong ?

You might try to disable TRIM and see if that changes anything. Slow booting is most common with Samsung NVMe drives and Monterey. Since you have a Sata 2.5" SSD from Crucial it's likely not the problem. Doesn't hurt to rule that out then test for other problems. Crucial drives do have built in garbage collection so you can use them without TRIM enabled in macOS. Just make sure to leave the system on a few hours per day when not in use.

You could also make Time Machine backup of your system drive, perform a clean install and see if the problem persists.

Last edited:
Quoting a former forum member...
From what I've read, the slow boot (an artifact of the TRIM issue) is mostly noticeable in Monterey. Whether or not that's strictly due to interaction with a specific Apple process, or what that process is, I can't say.

Does it only affect APFS formatted drives? Probably, from what I've read. As I understand it, the bug (the underlying cause) is with the controller software; relating to the implementation of TRIM across several brands of (NVMe) drives. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of inconsistencies with other files systems.

I found this detailed description of TRIM and how to test whether or not it's turned on in Windows. An interesting read for the curious.
Screen Shot 10.jpg

Well... Yesterday, my computer took 4' to boot. Today, my computer booted just like a charm. No change.
Today, I saw that the Crucial SSD I have supports trim BUT trim function was not enabled. So I ran sudo trimforce enable and reboot... It took 20 seconds to boot, no problem, and trim is enabled. Very strange. I can't understand why it is ok one day and not the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back