3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
IMG_0949.jpgIMG_0962.jpgIMG_0963.jpgIMG_0964.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0966.jpg

So I picked both of these up today from a very slim trade on my part but the guy wanted a Bitfenix Prodigy and a PSU really BADLY so I couldn't pass up two of these for free pretty much.

Anyways, here's what I need help with:

1. Whats the easiest tool to cut the back of the case with to fit a mobo tray? I don't own any tools other than a hand held dremel which I'm sure won't do the job. Would me taking to home depot or someone be the smart thing to do?

2. DOes the laserhive backplate come with a mobo tray as well? I'm planning on putting a mATX mobo in here.

3. Whats the best way to clean this case? The inside is dirty and has sticky residue from the plastic cable management thing. Can I just soak it with soap and water?

4. How should I go about fixing these little scratches and blemishes?
IMG_0956.jpgIMG_0961.jpg

The plan for this is to keep it as "stock" looking as possible but modernize it I guess? The new mac's and mac mini's have a black apple logo and internal scheme and that's what I want to do with this. On the outside I'm just gona make the apple logo black then on the inside, paint some of the parts a matted black to fit the new styling I guess. Other than that, this should be pretty easy to accomplish. Lemme know whatchu guys think I should do.

We're not allowed to sell stuff to each other using this forum, you might want to edit your post to remove that part. Very cool swap though. I wish I could have swapped someone for my G5 case that I haven't gotten around to starting my mod on yet (in process of buying house, and can't spend any major money right now or it will screw up my financing potentially).

that picture looks like it's more than just minor scuff damage. You may need to consider going with one of the powder coat method or anodized that others on the forum have used if that's the case as it's almost impossible to fix that.

We're not allowed to sell stuff to each other using this forum, you might want to edit your post to remove that part. Very cool swap though. I wish I could have swapped someone for my G5 case that I haven't gotten around to starting my mod on yet (in process of buying house, and can't spend any major money right now or it will screw up my financing potentially).

Thanx, just did it.

Dremel 3000 and a few packs of #426 cutting wheels is all I used. Save the worn down wheels, they're great for tight corners if you need them. Laser hive products rock, period. He sells the backplate and tray separately. With mATX you can use an old tray from a PC case or make your own standoffs, but the LH tray is much easier for the little amount it costs.

Good luck. Post pics as u progress.

Ersterhernd

The back of a G5 is aluminum and perforated so a dremel cuts through it quite easily, especially compared to solid steel. if you feel the dremel getting hot, take a break and let it cool down for a while before continuing.

Laser hive pricing assumes they are both bought together now, so the prices you see on the website most prominently are the combined prices. You can though split the kits if you just need a tray or just need a backplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back