CPU
i7-8770K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Some time ago I came here asking about the possibility of having an IDE drive act as a secondary internal storage device. By configuring the drive for cable select and installing JMicron36xATA, everything seemed to work (with the sad exception of sleep...for some reason, putting the computer to sleep makes the IDE disappear...).

Now, I've gotten my hands on another IDE drive, and I was wondering if it would be possible to to have this one act as another secondary internal storage device.

Any help is appreciated.

Vasiliovich said:
Some time ago I came here asking about the possibility of having an IDE drive act as a secondary internal storage device. By configuring the drive for cable select and installing JMicron36xATA, everything seemed to work (with the sad exception of sleep...for some reason, putting the computer to sleep makes the IDE disappear...).

Now, I've gotten my hands on another IDE drive, and I was wondering if it would be possible to to have this one act as another secondary internal storage device.

Any help is appreciated.
Most IDE cables come with 3 connectors - one for the main board on one end and the other end is for the master device and the one in the middle for the slave device - these two are about 6" apart and the board connector is about 12" from the slave device connector so you know which end is which.

No, I fully understand the regular relationship of master and slave to the mother board, but since this is an irregular computer with a SATA drive as the main drive, I'm unsure as to whether I'm supposed to configure the second IDE drive as another slave or as a master, or whether any of this will actually work. Do I simply need to configure the second IDE drive for cable select so that it will act as the master or what?

Has anyone had any success with having two IDE internal storage drives?

I've tried booting up with two IDE drives connected, but neither windows 7 or snow leopard will boot up, BIOS just gets stuck on a forward slash, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back