Contribute
Register

Turning off Mac HFS drives when using Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro Gen3
CPU
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey!

I have 2 storage drives that are formatted for use on the Mac side and I don't want them to power on when I'm booting into Windows 7.

Is it possible turning them off each time I boot into Windows 7?

I don't want to manually unplug the drives as that would take too much time :D

You can buy a Hard Drive Power Switch. Lian Li makes a 6-HD switch that fits in a 5.25" bay but at $70, it's too expensive! Orico has a 4-HD switch for about $30 but fits in a 3.5" floppy slot, which may require a bay adapter since 3.5" slots are disappearing from newer cases.
CA-344-LL_45025_350.jpgor 41Qi6Ur-lgL.jpg

Or you can make or buy a PCI Slot Device Switch - 4-Pin Molex ($12-$15) and connect the one HD you want to power on and off.
molex.png

You can buy a Hard Drive Power Switch. Lian Li makes a 6-HD switch that fits in a 5.25" bay but at $70, it's too expensive! Orico has a 4-HD switch for about $30 but fits in a 3.5" floppy slot, which may require a bay adapter since 3.5" slots are disappearing from newer cases.
View attachment 65060or View attachment 65061

Or you can make or buy a PCI Slot Device Switch - 4-Pin Molex ($12-$15) and connect the one HD you want to power on and off.
View attachment 65059

Ah, that's cool :)

Is there no software solution?

Ah, that's cool :)

Is there no software solution?

Software to power down a HD? I don't think so but I'm not sure. You can disable the HD in Device Manager that way it's not visible but I never tried it.

Software to power down a HD? I don't think so but I'm not sure. You can disable the HD in Device Manager that way it's not visible but I never tried it.

Ah ok :)

It's 2 drives running RAID.

I just wan't to power them off so they don't lose life and so I don't waste power :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back