Contribute
Register

Turning an old G5 powermac into a Hackinrtosh Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayrosher said:
Ok so it's started, I have the following!
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Intel Z68 Skt 1155 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance memory. 4x4 16 GB CML16GX3M4A1600C9 DDR 3! This is the slim line version! so that it doesn't interfere with the CPU,
Sony AD-7260S 24x /RAM Drive,

So left to purchase is
Graphics card not sure what to get
Modular Power supply! looking at a 700/750 watt
CPU, looking at the Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz.... but heard theirs a skull 5ghz version out their,
Ray:)

Ok so the rest of the Gear I need! is either here or on it's way!
I now have the following to add to my collection!
Intel i7 2600K 3.4Ghz Lga 1155 processor
PowerColor PCS+ HD6950 2GB GDDR5 (Vortex II Edition) Graphics card.
850 watt power supply
Almost their! Started to strip out the G5 case, Man I almost felt guilty doing it! this has to be one of the nicest machines I have ever worked on! Everything stripped out of the bottom half and motherboard and power supply now removed! A friend reckons that it maybe possible to convert the power supply to work on the new system! not sure about that may just use the power supply Ive just got and strip it out and use the old case! we shall see!
Sorry forgot to add that I have taken pictures of the strip out and plan on documenting the new installation may even do a video only thing holding me back at the minute is the motherboard tray and back panel still cant seem to source one! anyone in the UK know of a case with a removable M/B tray and back panel let me know thanks Ray:)

Ok so it's started, I have the following!
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P Intel Z68 Skt 1155 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance memory. 4x4 16 GB CML16GX3M4A1600C9 DDR 3! This is the slim line version! so that it doesn't interfere with the CPU,
Sony AD-7260S 24x /RAM Drive,

So left to purchase is
Graphics card not sure what to get
Modular Power supply! looking at a 700/750 watt
CPU, looking at the Intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz.... but heard theirs a skull 5ghz version out their,
Ray:)

Ok! so I now have a Powercolor Radeon HD6950 Vortex 2gb Graphics Card.
750 watt modular power supply.
and a i7 2600k 3.4ghz processor,
Started stripping the case today,
Man this thing is beautifully built!
Anyway all stripped out ready for the back panel and dry run fit up!

I am also currently doing a G5 mod. You said that your friend suggested rewiring the G5 PSU. DO NOT TRY IT. It is theoretically possible but it is not worth the effort. Apple did their best to make it as different from ATX PSUs as possible.
Emptying the G5 psu and fit the innards of an ATX PSU inside the G5 PSU housing is a much better option

Others (including me) mount their standard ATX PSU in the middle of the case and make an extension cord the the back of the case. The advantage of this is that the PSU is easily upgradable. It doesn't look as stock though.

Good luck with your mod!

Finboss said:
I am also currently doing a G5 mod. You said that your friend suggested rewiring the G5 PSU. DO NOT TRY IT. It is theoretically possible but it is not worth the effort. Apple did their best to make it as different from ATX PSUs as possible.
Emptying the G5 psu and fit the innards of an ATX PSU inside the G5 PSU housing is a much better option

Others (including me) mount their standard ATX PSU in the middle of the case and make an extension cord the the back of the case. The advantage of this is that the PSU is easily upgradable. It doesn't look as stock though.

Good luck with your mod!

Thanks Finboss! my mates got some test equipment oscopes and the like, tested the crap out of the apple power supply! it would seem that basicly its the same power supply as a standard atx, but with some subtle changes that make it very difficult and possibly dangerous to use on a atx board, so new power supply arrived a couple of days ago standard 750 modular atx power supply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back