Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The Intel integrated Bluetooth is generally supported O.O.B. on Mac OS X, however it is not possible to turn it off. The Intel integrated WiFi is not supported at all and thus not possible either to be shutdown. Then I was thinking: we know there are some Intel documentation regarding the GPU, where some information about memory registers is given. Some of these registers can be used to enable or disable certain GPU-related stuff, such as the display.

Doesn't it exist something like that for Bluetooth and WiFi, so that we could try to shut them down and save a lot of energy?

Intel WiFi drivers for Linux could be a source of studies:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

The Intel integrated Bluetooth is generally supported O.O.B. on Mac OS X, however it is not possible to turn it off. The Intel integrated WiFi is not supported at all and thus not possible either to be shutdown. Then I was thinking: we know there are some Intel documentation regarding the GPU, where some information about memory registers is given. Some of these registers can be used to enable or disable certain GPU-related stuff, such as the display.

Doesn't it exist something like that for Bluetooth and WiFi, so that we could try to shut them down and save a lot of energy?

Intel WiFi drivers for Linux could be a source of studies:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

Most people would simply replace their Intel WiFi with a supported WiFi as most would want working WiFi on their laptop, no?

Most people would simply replace their Intel WiFi with a supported WiFi as most would want working WiFi on their laptop, no?
My option was to use a WiFi USB adapter because my laptop was definitely not made for disassembling, so I'm on the group that needs to turn off the boards non-invasively...

My option was to use a WiFi USB adapter because my laptop was definitely not made for disassembling, so I'm on the group that needs to turn off the boards non-invasively...

It is probably not using much power without drivers to activate the radio. But you could see if there is an _OFF method provided in DSDT. It works for turning off unsupported graphics chips, maybe for WiFi too...

It is probably not using much power without drivers to activate the radio. But you could see if there is an _OFF method provided in DSDT. It works for turning off unsupported graphics chips, maybe for WiFi too...
I believe all my _OFF methods are related to the fans. But I feel more relieved to know that my bluetooth and wifi boards are not using that much energy. Actually I noticed from Intel Power Gadget than, on average, my power usage is lower on Mac than on Windows, but I don't know if that power includes every integrated component.

I believe all my _OFF methods are related to the fans. But I feel more relieved to know that my bluetooth and wifi boards are not using that much energy. Actually I noticed from Intel Power Gadget than, on average, my power usage is lower on Mac than on Windows, but I don't know if that power includes every integrated component.

Intel Power Gadget probably only measures Intel components (CPU, PCH, integrated graphics, etc.)

Intel Power Gadget probably only measures Intel components (CPU, PCH, integrated graphics, etc.)
Yes but my WiFi and Bluetooth are Intel, they're integrated

Yes but my WiFi and Bluetooth are Intel, they're integrated

I've only used that Power Gadget once, and I can't remember what it exactly did... but, from memory, it seemed focused on the CPU related components. If you don't see a detail view that shows power usage of that component, it probably isn't tracking it. Keep in mind Intel is a big company and the WiFi people may not talk to the CPU people.

Also, see if you can see anything in the documentation for the software.

It is probably not using much power without drivers to activate the radio.
I still need to find the reason then for the battery draining almost twice as fast compared to Windows, considering my CPU and GPU frequencies are on average half of those in Windows, what also implies a much lower CPU temperature. These things would make me expect a better battery life or, at worst, the same...

I still need to find the reason then for the battery draining almost twice as fast compared to Windows, considering my CPU and GPU frequencies are on average half of those in Windows, what also implies a much lower CPU temperature. These things would make me expect a better battery life or, at worst, the same...

Power management is good? No runaway background processes? No third party background apps installed? Any discrete video on this laptop? Disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back