Contribute
Register

Turbocharge your internet performance w/ Google DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
ne0shell said:
lectrcman said:
Ne0shell, I see you are in Houston too. I work for Comcast here. What part of town are you in? We just launched DOCSIS 3 in some areas. You might be in one of them. Your speeds seem high.

I'm North of Houston actually. We pay for the upgraded internet from Comcast that's supposed to be a 8Mbps pipe but they have this thing they do where downloads start off at 30-40 mbps and then fall off rapidly so the speed test isn't really accurate.

My average pipeline is right around 1-1.5Mbps. It's not really any faster than my pre-upgrade service unless you count going from 1MBps to 1.5 or so.

Our entire area is wired for fiber, it would be nice if someone would take advantage of that. Unfortunately we live out in the boonies enough to where we can't get any other internet service other than Sat and that sucks even worse than comcast.

I'm worried comcast is going to shut me off right now. The last time I had to download my entire iTunes library again the comcast security folks shut us off and told me if I ever used that much BW again I'd be cut off. I just downloaded around 300 GB worth of iTunes content in a weeks time again so I'm waiting for the other boot to fall.

Comcast has a 250GB per month cap. What kind of iTunes content do you have. 300Gb. Sheesh. some people don't have that big of a HD. If you are up near Spring, Conroe, Tomball or Humble then you should be in the area that has been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0.

I have a lot of season passes of TV shows in HD and quite a few movies. Comcast might need to revisit that cap though, I don't even have that big of a library compared to the folks who own apple tv's and who rent and buy their content from iTunes.

I use Netflix online, hulu and so on, that makes for a lot of bandwidth. It's pathetic though, here in the US we have some of the slowest internet and lowest bandwidth limits in the modern World.

Screen Shot 2012-02-15 at 6.48.53 AM.png
Download speeds went up a little more than 5MB/s. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-15 at 6.48.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-15 at 6.48.53 AM.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back