Contribute
Register

Tuf Love Hardlined Water Cooled G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey neilhart
Thanks for the support through the years with your suggestions and answers on the various modding threads. I have a couple questions to ask you about my next venture which is going to be my back panel. I noticed your cutting work with the front panel and back panel with your short stack project. I have 2 extra g5 cases lying around basically I want to use the mesh from the front of the case and put it in the back. I will still use my i/o panel and my motherboard tray. It will kinda look like your half stack but full size. The questions I have are:

1. The paint you suggested with your short stack look funny with the back panel the only thing that is painted?

2. Should I cut a 120mm circle for the back panel? or leave it flush and mount my fans with velcro instead?

3. Where and how did you get a 120mm fan grill from a macpro? If you don't mind me asking.

One thing to mention I will not be changing the power plug or latch system. I am only patching the back. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I did not see your questions until just now.

1. The spray paint that I used and documented is fairly close match to the original PM color. I would paint the entire rear panel area after the metal is modded.

2. & 3. I had parts left over from my Mac Pro hack and used the 120mm metal and the Apple grill patched into the PM back panel. I now have more experience (after doing the LOL) and would do a better job aligning the hole pattern and re-drilling holes to complete the pattern. The key here is masking the area and only placing the epoxy where you need it as this makes less work in the finishing process (sanding and re-drilling holes open).

Good modding,
neil

can you helping me, file the cutting back panel
View attachment 147206

I never took pictures of the process of the back panel because people most often use back panels from laser hive's or mountain mods. I used the mountain mods motherboard tray and io panel and custom made my back panel I used the mounting holes from the motherboard tray to keep it in place. The metal I used which matched the case perfectly from Home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-8-in-x-34-in-Satin-Aluminum-Kick-Plate-14280/204988096

Cool build! I will probably upload my build when I have time!:clap:

Found my inspiration for a G5 now...

How do you have the radiator attached to the front of the case? More double sided mounting tape like the pump?

Exactly right. The tubing and the weight of the water in the radiator keep it upright as well. I have not updated this post in a while I have actually got a gtx 780 watercooled in my loop as well. I am just to lazy to take pictures and upload them.

Exactly right. The tubing and the weight of the water in the radiator keep it upright as well. I have not updated this post in a while I have actually got a gtx 780 watercooled in my loop as well. I am just to lazy to take pictures and upload them.

Absolutely clean and gorgeous build. This is how I see how watercooling should be done in a G5 hack. I featured you on my Instagram page "hackintoshkings" .. Hope that's alright! Cheers

Hey JRDN, I was checking out your posts that you mentioned the other day. Is this Build log similar to what you're planning to do with the G5?

Here is a link to his Photobucket Library so everyone can enjoy the work that went into this build while the original links are broken. Also, clicking the link in his signture seems to take you to a build log with working images, strangely.
RickyReall84's Photobucket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back