Graphics
Nvidia GTX 670 x 2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
EDIT: I went beyond the Tonymac guide to fine tune my EVGA X58 SLI and I ran into a kernel panic after I changed my /Extra folder. Can you help me troubleshoot my kernel panic? A few posts down I have a full changelist of my post-install fine tuning.

Hi all, thanks for stopping by. I'm trying to tune my system using the guide at http://osx86.co/f57/guide-evga-x58-snow ... s-x-t3854/ and I need help troubleshooting.

I did just about everything listed on that guide after I followed tonymac's guide. (In case you're curious I'm just trying to tune my board to full functionality). The problem is, with the vast amount of changes I made to the /Extra folder, my Snow Leopard HD now boots directly into SL kernel panic, bypassing the usual Chameleon boot select screen.

I logged in to Terminal and changed back to my backup (original tonymac) /Extra folder and I am back to my usual Chameleon boot screen.

EDIT: So my question is, what did I touch in the /Extra folder to cause a kernel panic?

Re: Trying to tune - not seeing Chamelon boot prompt now

did you have a key "Quiet Boot" and the string= "Yes" in you com.apple.boot.plist ? If so, that's where you lost the Chameleon GUI boot screen. After looking through the link you posted this guys setup has that same option enabled. Some people don't want and/or need to see the boot gui so it's bypassed. My current setup is a dual boot SL and Win7. It defaults to Win7 for my wife and it quiet boots so she doesn't have to see all of that. You can override this by tapping F8 as soon as Chameleon is loading.

Yes, I added it in the changed plist.

Delete that key|string and you'll have the GUI back. As far as the kp I don't know. Can you post a screen shot?

Oh ok thanks, I had no idea what that did I just copied it from the guide. And, I don't have a screenshot - how can I take a screenshot of a kernel panic?

I do recall that it was saying something about cpu class and cpu over and over and over.

I also tried to boot in verbose mode and it loaded quite a bit of stuff before freezing on MacFuse.

Take a picture with a camera. That's the way I did it :thumbup: I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to kp. Maybe the dsdt you're using? Anyone else have clue?

You know what, I'll post a detailed list of what I changed in a few minutes. I'm going to install MacDrive so that I can see the names of the files.

I have two /Extra directories. One is the tonymac one and the other is full of my changes called x58 Extra. Ok, here is my changelist.

Booting plist:
Code:
<key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>busratio=20 -x64 boot-uuid=1D91A561-2085-3444-A141-BBC35B3AADF9</string>  
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1920x1080x32</string> 
    <key>device-properties</key>
(my gfx string is here)

Changed plist:
Code:
<key>GUI</key>
	<string>N</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-x64 boot-uuid=1D91A561-2085-3444-A141-BBC35B3AADF9 MemSpeed=1600 MemType=DDR3</string>  
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1080x32</string> 
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>device-properties</key>
(again gfx string here)

Attached are my smbios file versions.

Booting kexts from tonymac install:

EvOreboot
fakesmc
JMicron36xATA
JMicron36xSATA
LegacyAppleRTC
NullCPUPowerManagement

Changed kexts:

AHCIPortInjector
fakesmc
HDAEnabler
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
JMicronATA
LegacyHDA
NullCPUPowerManagement
OpenHalfRestart
PlatformUUID
SleepEnabler

I used KextUtility to wrap up both of the /Extra folders.

I created my own DSDT using the GUI utility and then changed the two RTC length lines to 02 and then recompiled it.

The only other change I made was to the AppleHDA audio thing in S/L/E.

Hopefully that's enough information. Let me know if you have any ideas of what I can troubleshoot.

Attachments

• booting smbios.plist
    513 bytes · Views: 210
  • changed smbios.plist
    1.5 KB · Views: 197
  • dsdt.aml
    27.6 KB · Views: 103

Are you using only one graphics card for the install?

To get the 2nd card running after OS X is installed, you will need a DSDT edited for dual card support.

I really suck at communicating. I'm using two graphics cards and I edited my boot.plist in /Extra with a custom string and they're both working fine with my tonymac /Extra folder. I'm running @ 1080p with no worries. EDIT: I can boot into OS X just fine with video with my tonymac /Extra folder. The DSDT is in /Snow Leopard and in my /x58 Extra folder. For graphics to be the source of the video you would be saying I'm getting a kernel panic because of my DSDT file in /Extra. I can boot fine with video without the DSDT. Is that what you mean to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back