Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
So I have a functioning hackintosh with Snow Leopard 10.6.5, and the most recent Chameleon. I also have an old Compaq computer I dont use anymore that has a nice harddrive with windows XP on it. Of course with al the drivers and what not for the Compaq. So what I'd like to know is whether its possible to use said harddrive to add XP to my hackintosh in a dual boot computer, obviously with the drivers for my hackintosh, and if so, how. I tried merely hooking it up to the motherboard and booting, and I didn't even see Chameleon, it just went strait in to the WinXP boot up sequence however when it got to the blue screen where it says windows, the mouse/keyboard wouldnt work and it asked me to activate windows which I couldn't do because the mouse wouldnt work. And when I did a force shut down and rebooted into the BIOS it no longer saw my hard drive that Snow Leopard is installed on at all, only the other one with windows. So I unplugged the windows harddrive and it booted into snow leopard fine, but I would like to get windows on this computer if at all possible, and at the moment I cant afford a Win7 license.

iCello said:
Hi,
So I have a functioning hackintosh with Snow Leopard 10.6.5, and the most recent Chameleon. I also have an old Compaq computer I dont use anymore that has a nice harddrive with windows XP on it. Of course with al the drivers and what not for the Compaq. So what I'd like to know is whether its possible to use said harddrive to add XP to my hackintosh in a dual boot computer, obviously with the drivers for my hackintosh, and if so, how. I tried merely hooking it up to the motherboard and booting, and I didn't even see Chameleon, it just went strait in to the WinXP boot up sequence however when it got to the blue screen where it says windows, the mouse/keyboard wouldnt work and it asked me to activate windows which I couldn't do because the mouse wouldnt work. And when I did a force shut down and rebooted into the BIOS it no longer saw my hard drive that Snow Leopard is installed on at all, only the other one with windows. So I unplugged the windows harddrive and it booted into snow leopard fine, but I would like to get windows on this computer if at all possible, and at the moment I cant afford a Win7 license.
When you add a HD or remove a HD (internal HDs, that is) you need to check the BIOS and re-arrange the HD boot order to make sure your SL drive is listed first. Since you are taking a drive that has XP on it from another machine, it was almost certainly installed IDE. You need to plug it in to one of your gSATA ports and configure that port for IDE in the BIOS, or boot the drive in the old machine and enable AHCI in the Xp before you install it in your Hackintosh
That being said, I have never heard of a WinXP install demanding activation if it is moved - Vista and Win7, yes. It's part of MS's antipiracy efforts. Are you sure it's XP and not Vista?

hi, thanks for your reply, I know that you have to go into the bios and change the boot order, the problem, as I said in my original question, is that my snow leopard harddrive doesn't show up when I have the windows harddrive connected.
I'll try to do what you said about configuring it for IDE although wy would that be necessary considering it's a sata only harddrive? Also, what does gSATA mean? I don't know....
and yes, it is XP, not Vista. First of alll I can tell, second I bought the pc in 05 and never upgraded it.

iCello said:
hi, thanks for your reply, I know that you have to go into the bios and change the boot order, the problem, as I said in my original question, is that my snow leopard harddrive doesn't show up when I have the windows harddrive connected.
I'll try to do what you said about configuring it for IDE although wy would that be necessary considering it's a sata only harddrive? Also, what does gSATA mean? I don't know....
and yes, it is XP, not Vista. First of alll I can tell, second I bought the pc in 05 and never upgraded it.
Is your XP disc PATA or SATA?
Precisely how do you have everything connected?
PATA port =
SATA1 =
SATA2 =
SATA3 =
Floppy drive?

Something you might try doing, download the manual for you XP HD and check what the jumper settings are for Master / Slave and set the jumper for Slave mode. Setting it as slave makes the BIOS look for another drive to boot from first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back