Contribute
Register

Trying to install Big Sur, screen goes black, then computer shuts off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-G
CPU
i9-10900KF
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I have my hackintosh built. It is a dual boot system. So I was trying to install High Sierra with clover. Yesterday, clover started, and gave me the option of installing Sierra. When I did, the screen was black. I waited for 20 minutes, and nothing happened so I shut it off.
Today, I redid the setup on the bootable usb, and tried again, this time, when I selected the USB for the boot drive on the bios, the screen went black. I saw a blinking cursor on the top right, then it disappeared, and a very thin line of weird distorted colours appeared on the bottom edge of the screen, then the computer shut off, and if you let it sit for a minute, it will start back up and go back to bios.
some suggested my hardware might be too new for high sierra.
So I did the same thing, this time using Big Sur. The same thing happened. I’m trying to get a hold of the logs, but I can’t seem to access them at the moment.
My build has a i9-10900KF, ASUS ROG Z490-G motherboard, and a Sapphire 11265-0520G Radeon graphics card. Any possible theories would be appreciated.

So I have my hackintosh built. It is a dual boot system. So I was trying to install High Sierra with clover. Yesterday, clover started, and gave me the option of installing Sierra. When I did, the screen was black. I waited for 20 minutes, and nothing happened so I shut it off.

Today, I redid the setup on the bootable usb, and tried again, this time, when I selected the USB for the boot drive on the bios, the screen went black. I saw a blinking cursor on the top right, then it disappeared, and a very thin line of weird distorted colours appeared on the bottom edge of the screen, then the computer shut off, and if you let it sit for a minute, it will start back up and go back to bios.

Some suggested my hardware might be too new for high sierra. So I did the same thing, this time using Big Sur. The same thing happened. I’m trying to get a hold of the logs, but I can’t seem to access them at the moment.

My build has a i9-10900KF, ASUS ROG Z490-G motherboard, and a Sapphire 11265-0520G Radeon graphics card. Any possible theories would be appreciated.

Have you set the correct BIOS options as described in the Installation Guide (for Catalina)?

You have a system with 10th generation Intel hardware, and Clover 5123 or earlier won't work with it (which means USB sticks made by Unibeast won't work). You will have to use OpenCore or Clover 5124 and later as bootloader.

Until recently I am also convinced that you can't install High Sierra or Mojave on a 10th generation Intel system, but there is a new guide here that prove me wrong :

So if you wish to install and run High Sierra or Mojave on your system you can refer to that and try again. But Catalina and Big Sur has native support for 10th generation Intel hardware and is more suitable.

Last edited:
Please Set Enable Write Unprotector to Yes in Config then see if it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back