Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UDH5
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
GTX650 TI
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys, I'm planning to buy a new HD 6870 to upgrade my Pommetosh...I'm between gigabyte and saphire....which one is better?

GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R687OC-1GD $168 final wit rebate

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card $148 with rebate

thks in advance for advices....

Hi,

Looks like the gigabyte one is the tony customac advised card of choice....
Personally I have the XFX Radeon HD 6870 (model:687A-ZDFC), and using it OOB with GE=Yes without any problems (also 2DVI / HDMI / 2 mDP).

Gordo74 said:
As long as it has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 2 Mini DP, brand does not matter.

Tks Dr. House,
for saphire:
Product Features
1 x Dual-Link DVI
1 x HDMI 1.4a1 x HDMI 1.4a
1 x DisplayPort
1 x Single-Link DVI-D
DisplayPort 1.2
and for gigabyte:
Connectors: Dual DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini DisplayPort

So answer is simple

I have the HIS version but I think they're essentially all the same. Non-reference design models might have slightly higher clock speeds and smaller form factors. The HIS IceQ (or something like that) is a relatively short card with a custom cooler.

My criteria when building my hack was price alone. What was on sale? BTW, the mini-DP ports work perfectly with the Apple Cinema Display.

Bimbo69 said:
Gordo74 said:

Tks Dr. House,
for saphire:
Product Features
1 x Dual-Link DVI
1 x DisplayPort
1 x Single-Link DVI-D
DisplayPort 1.2
and for gigabyte:

So answer is simple

Looks to me the Sapphire misses a port, and as soon as a card manufacturer departs from a design similar to what Apple also uses, well... you run the chance things just don't work or don't work as you would hope.
I've read someone using an XFX card was happy, so, I guess it is between XFX and Gigabyte. If the difference is neglectable then I'd vote for the Gigabyte.

DarfWeder said:
Bimbo69 said:
Gordo74 said:

Tks Dr. House,
for saphire:
Product Features
1 x Dual-Link DVI
1 x DisplayPort
1 x Single-Link DVI-D
DisplayPort 1.2
and for gigabyte:

So answer is simple

Looks to me the Sapphire misses a port, and as soon as a card manufacturer departs from a design similar to what Apple also uses, well... you run the chance things just don't work or don't work as you would hope.
I've read someone using an XFX card was happy, so, I guess it is between XFX and Gigabyte. If the difference is neglectable then I'd vote for the Gigabyte.

I prefer XFX because they offer a lifetime warranty if you register in the first 30 days.

Does the HDMI port work OOB with the HD 6870?

I bought an Asus EAH6850 today and the DVI works but I get "Black Screen" using HDMI.

I may have to take it back.

Max91 said:
Does the HDMI port work OOB with the HD 6870?

I bought an Asus EAH6850 today and the DVI works but I get "Black Screen" using HDMI.

I may have to take it back.
Hi, Yes the HDMI works OOB (with mine). You only need to edit things to get HDMI audio to work (but Toleda has some nice tutorials for that in the Audio/HDMI Audio threads http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31664)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back