Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi, I'm trying to install Catalina on an external drive so I can map my USB ports. I created an install stick in terminal (I already had an archive copy of the Catalina installer), and it boots, recognizes target drive, and starts the installation, but when it restarts, it doesn't recognize the Catalina drive as one from which to boot, so, I go back to the installer, but it looks as if it starts all over again. When I boot back into Monterey, it's clear the install didn't finish. What do I need to do? Thanks.

Can't get a break. Went back and created a USB installer using UniBeast, went to boot from it, and loading stopped at this point. Can anyone help identify the problem? I'm just trying to map my fricking USB ports!
IMG_0060.JPG

Last edited:
USB Mapping is easy. Not sure why you are going the hard way. USB mapping is highly recommended, but not needed to Boot MacOS.

Anyways, here are multiple ways you can map your usb ports.

USB Mapping is easy. Not sure why you are going the hard way. USB mapping is highly recommended, but not needed to Boot MacOS.

Anyways, here are multiple ways you can map your usb ports.

Thanks. I was told that Catalina was necessary since XHCIportlimit doesn’t work in Monterey. This appears to work similarly to Hackintool. Won’t I have the same issue? Right now, it appears that only USB 3 volumes are registering/mounting…

Method 1) *Easiest*

The first step creates a DUMMY USBMap.kext which contains all USB mappings. (Like a workaround to the XHCIPortLimit issue)

Method 2) *Best IMHO*
Create a Bootable Windows PE USB disk. Pick one of this:

Once you can boot from the Windows PE USB Disk. You can run USBToolBOx Tool which will do everything you need.

Method 1) *Easiest*

The first step creates a DUMMY USBMap.kext which contains all USB mappings. (Like a workaround to the XHCIPortLimit issue)

Method 2) *Best IMHO*
Create a Bootable Windows PE USB disk. Pick one of this:

Once you can boot from the Windows PE USB Disk. You can run USBToolBOx Tool which will do everything you need.

So, if I have a dual boot machine, can I just boot into Windows 10 and run the Windows version of USBToolbox?

So, if I have a dual boot machine, can I just boot into Windows 10 and run the Windows version of USBToolbox?

Yes. If you have that option I would have done it right away. Easiest. You can also use USB Device Tree Viewer to help you map which ports you want to keep/identify. This tool will help you identify the Physical Port to their USB2/USB3/USB-C ports

As I said, You are just making your life too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back