Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA x99 UD4
CPU
i7 6800k
Graphics
EVGA 750ti
Did I just buy the wrong memory sticks for my GA x99 UD4? My build turns on 3sec then OFF 5sec and that goes on and on. So I looked at my ram and discovered that its not on the memory support list for this mobo. I chose the memory by looking at tonymac website, so thought it would work allso because it has the right specs, but it's just not on the list. Maby because the list is not up to date?? Can you tell if they can be used by looking at the attached pictures where I've highlighted with blue and the picture of one of the 4 memory sticks where you see the numbers etc on the right side of the stick. Thanks a lot! Hope you can help!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 150
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 128
The Buyer's Guide does not include the X99 UD4. The memory modules by Crucial listed in the Guide are intended for builds with the Z170, H170 chipsets. They will work with those with no problems. It's always best to check your mobo's QVL before buying so that you can be sure they will work. If you get a defective kit of course they won't work if even on the QVL. Run memest 86+ as soon as you get them to rule this out. You can run it from a flash drive without any OS installed.

The Buyer's Guide does not include the X99 UD4. The memory modules by Crucial listed in the Guide are intended for builds with the Z170, H170 chipsets. They will work with those with no problems. It's always best to check your mobo's QVL before buying so that you can be sure they will work. If you get a defective kit of course they won't work if even on the QVL. Run memest 86+ as soon as you get them to rule this out. You can run it from a flash drive without any OS installed.
Thank you sooo much for your answer! I overlooked that. I Got an answer though from Sunny Nath on youtube, who says it should work. So now I'm confused.
Allso confused about what you mean with memtest 86+? What is it that I can do with it? Should I keep the ram og buy new ones? Sorry for my noob questions.

Thank you sooo much for your answer! I overlooked that. I Got an answer though from Sunny Nath on youtube, who says it should work. So now I'm confused.
Allso confused about what you mean with memtest 86+? What is it that I can do with it? Should I keep the ram og buy new ones? Sorry for my noob questions.
If the ram is defective it can cause problems such as those you are having. Best to rule that out first with Memtest. If it is OK then you could try using it in your X99 build. http://www.memtest86.com/screenshots.htm Let it run as long as you reasonably can. Install Memtest 86 to a FAT 32 flash drive and boot from it. Then let it run and do the testing.

Thanks again! Wow do I boot from the flash drive? I've made the bootable flash drive with the memtest86+ img file using terminal (followed this guide: https://www.hostvirtual.com/kb/1042/Create-a-bootable-USB-flash-media-drive-from-Mac-OSX.html), but how do I boot from it, when the computer turns off after 3-5 seconds then turns on...repeats forever. What USB port should I put it in. Will the white USB port for BIOS updates using Q-flash plus be the one to use, or is that port only for the BIOS update Q-flash method? Will it boot automatically from that port, just like when I updated the BIOS for the x99 ud4 using a flash drive?

You could remove all but one DIMM of ram when powered down. Power on and then hit the F12 key repeatedly right after powering on. Should get you to the boot selection menu. Choose the USB and then rum memtest. Put the USB into a USB 2.0 port not the BIOS updates port. It may be that just one or two of the modules are not working. Doing one at a time for a short period is a quick and easy way to find which one it is. If none of them starts throwing errors right away put all 4 in and let it run for at least 5-6 hours.

We'd also appreciate it if you would list your motherboard, CPU and graphics in your user profile to the left, under your avatar.
TIA

Last edited:
I'd pull the AC cord and remove all the modules. Then I'd plug in the AC cord and see if the +5V LED lights up. If the LED flickers or pulses you probably have a short somewhere, or the mobo, CPU or PSU is bad. If you have a PSU tester then that could show if you have bad rails. Short of that you would need a spare PSU to confirm, and that PSU should be known to be working.

How many mem modules do you have and were they bought as a single kit? You could try installing just one module and see if it happens, then see if it happens with other modules. Make absolutely sure to power down the PC and PULL THE AC CORD! If it happens with all the modules then you will need to repeat the test using a different mem slot. If it happens with all mem slots and all mem modules then you will need to purchase other memory. But before doing that you should completely remove the motherboard from the case and set it up on a wooden or glass table. The hard part will be the CPU cooler - some cheaper models have bad back plate brackets that can short out the mobo. Having a stock Intel cooler is a godsend so you can rule out the cpu heatsink. Once out of the case you would try powering up with just one or two mem modules.

@Nikosteg We need to know all of your hardware. As kiiroaka points out, your PC shutting on and off can be happening for multiple reasons. Did you buy all new hardware ? Are you reusing an old PSU with your Skylake motherboard ? This is all important to know. Also were you ever able to even get OS X installed to begin with ? Did this start happening before or after the install ? Give as much background info as your are able.

@kiiroaka +5V LED lights up with a very short blink and then no light afterwards.

CPU Cooler:Noctua Nh D15
Case: Fractal design define r5
Memory: Possibly non supported 32Gb 4x8Gb single kit Crucial Ballistix Sport BLS8G4D240FSC.16FBD. Discovered it's not on the list of x99 UD4 qualified memory list.
PSU: Corsair 760w
OS X not installed because of the repeating on and off thing the started the first time after installing BIOS f22 using q-flash plus with a usb drive witch I was able to do the first time I powered on the build.

About trying with one DIMM at a time I read that the mobo needs to have 4 DIMMS for it to work. But is that a misunderstanding.

@trs96 All hardware is new.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back