Graphics
xfx radeon 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I know the ud5 board has the VLI usb hubs and cannot enable usb3. But is this what is causing me to have random freezes with the multi language 'must restart' screen.

I do not get any kernel panics with my system. It runs very fast and I can work on it all day, most days without issues. Unless I use Skype for voice calls or use Vuze to download files. I think I had one crash with iMovie once. And if I leave the system idle for a day it will most likely be frozen (screen won't wake no commands work, can only shut off with power button).

What are the potential issues causing this? How should I test it out. I am ready to just change out the MB or add a PCI card if it can give me stable usb3 or thunderbolt support.

Running 10.6.8. Have not done the supplemental update yet.

If you have a specific test to run please provide details as I have likely not used it before.

Re: Troubleshooting help with Z68 UD5 B3 board

Hello Lucky777s,

I have the same setup, and I as well am experiencing random freezes.

I have no idea what is causing it. The system just freezes on whatever it was doing before. No messages are to be found in kernel.log or system.log.

As of right now I am suspecting graphics card issue (ATI 5770 and 6870 (I have two cards)) or USB issue.
I have not installed any kexts for USB. I tried the USB3.0 from Multibeast 4.0.2 but it rendered my Bluetooth mouse and Keyboard unusable.

EDIT: Oh, and I am running Lion 10.7.1

lucky777s said:
So I know the ud5 board has the VLI usb hubs and cannot enable usb3. But is this what is causing me to have random freezes with the multi language 'must restart' screen.

I do not get any kernel panics with my system. It runs very fast and I can work on it all day, most days without issues. Unless I use Skype for voice calls or use Vuze to download files. I think I had one crash with iMovie once. And if I leave the system idle for a day it will most likely be frozen (screen won't wake no commands work, can only shut off with power button).

What are the potential issues causing this? How should I test it out. I am ready to just change out the MB or add a PCI card if it can give me stable usb3 or thunderbolt support.

If you have a specific test to run please provide details as I have likely not used it before.

-The multi-language "Must Restart" screen, as you call it, It is a kernel panic, therefore you are getting them.
-Read my post here, it might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=32605
Note: I'm now on the newly released Lin2Mac driver (find it at the home page) on both motherboards without any problems whatsoever. You might want to go and get it for your system.
-Since the USB 3.0 Driver from Multibeast does not work with the VLI hubs at the moment i completely removed it, you might want to do so as well, therefore removing another potential source of problems.

Thanks neysito, I thought a KP was a screen with lots of error messages and text, not the simple frozen restart screen.

I have changed the bios setup to disable usb3 hubs to see if that helps. Ran MemTest to check the ram and it passed that check. Others had similar freezes with bad ram or video card problems.

I never loaded the usb3 kexts in MultiBeast as they caused major problems right away the first time I tried it. But I will read up on the Lin2Mac driver and let you know how that works out.

Hey neysito,

Looked up the Lnx2Mac driver and it was to fix networking issues. I had not considered that as my ethernet was recognized right away and seemed to be working fine. Many of my freezes occur when the computer is idle.

I don't get the same type of kp screen the user in your linked thread shows. Do you think it is worthwhile to use the lnx2Mac driver. I saw your explanation on how to remove the old driver but how do I install the new one without MB?

Thanks for the help.

Some of my panics happend during heavy internet usage like skype, miro or chrome, some happend for no reason at all, just idle. The realtek drivers are somehow buggy, now that Lin2Mac drivers are updated i'll never go back and i have had one panic only in months by other hardware fail. Yes use them.
Read the Lin2Mac post abt the drivers release(tonymacx86.com home page), it will take you to his blog where you can download the installer, make sure you remove the old one and reboot first.
I leave the usb 3.0 on at bios because i triple boot with windows and kubuntu, so i can use it there but i don't install the drives in OSX, at least for now, it still works but at usb 2.0 speeds. I heard Macman is working on a drivers fix. I'm waiting for it.

Note: The sweet spot of the Gigabyte boards is the GA-Z68XP-UD4 because it has 2 usb 3.0 ports in the back that work with the OSX drivers and no VLi hubs. I'm using one right now.

lucky777s said:
Many of my freezes occur when the computer is idle.

For me it seems to be whenever the computer is idle, or I click (I use Apple's bluetooth chipset with Magic mouse and trackpad), or when doing something causing network load (like updating dropbox for instance).

lucky777s said:
I don't get the same type of kp screen the user in your linked thread shows.

Lately my computer just freezes. No message at all.
This is beginning to be dreadful and unusable...

Okay, I can gladly let you know that my problems has been resolved.

I've overclocked my CPU from 3.4 Ghz up to 4.7 Ghz.

The system was able to run at that frequency (and voltage etc.) stable in Windows 7 using linpack Intel burn test for over 24h.
That frequency was not stable with OS X during almost idle to my amusement. Downclocked to 4.6 Ghz and everything is now stable. Not a single crash in over 36 hours.

If you are experiencing something similar look into that.

I don't overclock at all. May try it later if everything else is near perfect.

By disabling the usb3 in bios I seem to have eliminated the freezes at long Idle (2-3 days). And I was able to make 2 Skype calls the other day, but did freeze up on the 3rd. Still much better than previous performance. So it had an effect.

I will definitely look to replace the Realtek drivers after another full backup of current settings with SuperDuper. The more I think about it the more likely that is a root cause of this. Skype, FrostWire, Vuze all had crash trouble previously while in use.

So if the Lin2Mac takes care of the network issue and the usb3 off takes care of the idle issue I could be very happy indeed.

thanks for all the input. I will update my progress here for others to see. I am considering switching to the UD4 board as well if I really need the usb3.

Is there a working FW800 card or ThunderBolt card for Hackintosh?

lucky777s said:

Hi lucky777s, you did a great job describing the sleep/wake pathology (and in your subsequent posts). This is exactly what I experience with the system in the .sig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back