Motherboard
MSI Z68A-GD80
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm planning on creating a build guide (complete with YouTube videos that cover everything) for an upcoming $500 triple-boot PC. It'll run Windows 10, Ubuntu and Yosemite.

What I'm wondering is which order the operating systems should be installed in. My guess right now would be Windows, Ubuntu and then Yosemite. However, I've read a lot of threads where the order is different. For example, this thread does Ubuntu first, then Windows, and then Yosemite. I'd imagine that Yosemite should always be last since we'll want to be using that bootloader (in this case, it would be Clover, via this guide, unless it's easier to install nowadays).

So what are your guys' thoughts?

I'm planning on creating a build guide (complete with YouTube videos that cover everything) for an upcoming $500 triple-boot PC. It'll run Windows 10, Ubuntu and Yosemite.

What I'm wondering is which order the operating systems should be installed in. My guess right now would be Windows, Ubuntu and then Yosemite. However, I've read a lot of threads where the order is different. For example, this thread does Ubuntu first, then Windows, and then Yosemite. I'd imagine that Yosemite should always be last since we'll want to be using that bootloader (in this case, it would be Clover, via this guide, unless it's easier to install nowadays).

So what are your guys' thoughts?

Order does not matter. Although the order will affect which procedures you do when...

Order does not matter. Although the order will affect which procedures you do when...

When... I actually get everything going, or...?

When... I actually get everything going, or...?

When what? I don't understand the question. You'll have to be more specific.

When what? I don't understand the question. You'll have to be more specific.

That's what I'm asking... You ended your initial reply with "when..."

That's what I'm asking... You ended your initial reply with "when..."

I mean that the order of the various tasks you'll need to complete to implement triple-boot will vary depending on the order in which you install the various operating systems you plan to install.

Ordering used to be important with MBR partition scheme .OS (except linux) needed primary partitions to install and because of limited primary partitions you had to make extended partition in which you cannot any OS except linux. But this all changed with GPT, you can now make unlimited primary partitions and install in any order.

Of course you'll have to chose when to install what. Installing windows in the end will make your clover unbootable coz of windows bootloader changes. You'll have to install clover again in that case.

Of course you'll have to chose when to install what. Installing windows in the end will make your clover unbootable coz of windows bootloader changes. You'll have to install clover again in that case.

That's why I'm looking to install OS X and Clover last. I don't think Ubuntu would cause any problems, but Windows seems iffy. Can't wait to get this build going whenever the rest of the parts arrive at the end of the week.

That's why I'm looking to install OS X and Clover last. I don't think Ubuntu would cause any problems, but Windows seems iffy. Can't wait to get this build going whenever the rest of the parts arrive at the end of the week.

I would recommend doing that too. Ubuntu uses Grub2 by default. But in any case make sure you have your installation drives ready (linux, win and OS X). I would suggest you to follow this path:

1. Install windows
2. Install Linux (if you need it)
3. Install Clover

Make sure you always have a clover usb (or OS X installer usb) in case anything goes wrong.

Ordering used to be important with MBR partition scheme .OS (except linux) needed primary partitions to install and because of limited primary partitions you had to make extended partition in which you cannot any OS except linux. But this all changed with GPT, you can now make unlimited primary partitions and install in any order.

Even order doesn't matter there... You simply have to plan your partition scheme correctly at the outset.

Installing Windows UEFI will not affect Clover, although your BIOS may choose to boot Windows UEFI (bootmgfw.efi) instead. This is why we have to rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back