X5670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A few weeks ago I successfully installed Linux and Windows on my Probook, and could dual boot them on one hard drive. Then I removed that hard drive, installed a different HD and successfully installed El Capitan. Now I've bought a drive caddy to replace the optical drive. Can I just drop the Linux/Windows drive in the caddy, plug it into the secondary SATA port and boot off the drive while preserving the primary OS X drive? Or am I asking for trouble?

A few weeks ago I successfully installed Linux and Windows on my Probook, and could dual boot them on one hard drive. Then I removed that hard drive, installed a different HD and successfully installed El Capitan. Now I've bought a drive caddy to replace the optical drive. Can I just drop the Linux/Windows drive in the caddy, plug it into the secondary SATA port and boot off the drive while preserving the primary OS X drive? Or am I asking for trouble?

It should work.
And with the proper Clover setup, you should be able to boot all three from Clover.

Thanks for the confirmation. I kind of doubt that Clover will play nice. It's a GPT install, whereas the dual boot drive is configured MBR. But maybe I'll get lucky. If worse comes to worse, I should be able to boot from the BIOS boot menu.

Thanks for the confirmation. I kind of doubt that Clover will play nice.

Actually, it works fine. I've done it...

It's a GPT install, whereas the dual boot drive is configured MBR.

You should install everything GPT/UEFI.

Actually, it works fine. I've done it...

You should install everything GPT/UEFI.
As I feared, Clover doesn't see the Linux or Windows partition at all. If you can suggest a link for multi-booting other OS's with Clover, I'd appreciate the info.

When I first installed Windows, OS X was just a whim in the back of my mind. I suppose I could reinstall Windows in UEFI mode (does Win7 even support UEFI?), and Linux as well, but I would like to maintain my current config if possible.

As I feared, Clover doesn't see the Linux or Windows partition at all. If you can suggest a link for multi-booting other OS's with Clover, I'd appreciate the info.

Maybe you forgot to disable "fast boot" in BIOS.
Clover cannot see volumes on devices other than the Clover boot device if you enable fast boot...
Or you didn't change config.plist to scan legacy (and scan Linux).
But you should really install everything UEFI (still "fast boot" must be disabled if you expect Clover to see EFI on the other device).

Maybe you forgot to disable "fast boot" in BIOS.
Clover cannot see volumes on devices other than the Clover boot device if you enable fast boot...
Or you didn't change config.plist to scan legacy (and scan Linux).
But you should really install everything UEFI (still "fast boot" must be disabled if you expect Clover to see EFI on the other device).
You were right about the config.plist. I Googled for several minutes but couldn't find the relevant entry, so I just opened up config.plist and started looking at the parameters. There was a Scan>Legacy entry set to False, and changing it to true forced GRUB to appear in the boot menu. Thanks for the pointer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back