EVGA GTX670
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Am I correct in thinking that this drive does not need TRIM enabled, it has its own garbage collection?

Some people are saying to enable it anyway, but I read that if the disk is idle it will clean up itself and restore its performance without TRIM.

I'd be interested to hear more about this too.

I chose the Samsung 830's too after reading something on here that made me go for them over other drives!
(Possible that I read that Apple are now using Samsung SSD's?)

Had no problems with them so far anyway... :)

I only can tell my experience

After 10.8.1 i lost my trim support . Couldn't enable it with "normal" tricks, like mulltibeast or command line patch.
So, i used my samsung ssd 830 128 gb for 1 or 2 days without Mac trim support.
Then i tried some disk tests and notice real bad and random scores on blackmagic disk speed test (notice more degradation on write speed).
Next i found this app Chameleon SSD Optimizer
Could enable my Mac trim support with this app.
I did some more test after installing this app, and can tell you, my score is now perfect. No more random scores and always at max speed.

So far my conclusion is that trim support is important for samsung 830 SSD.

nice i go format again my kingston ssd 3k and give "chameleon ssd optimizer" a shot before sending it to kingston for replacement.

@ freituk

Thanks for the link I'll give that whirl later!

Also would anyone happen to have any ideas on the following?

I've noticed is that both my SSD's (2x 128GB Samsung 830) are reported as write protected in Black Magic Speed Test and simply fail to do anything in the AJA disk tester. (I can do a file read test ok and currently get around 300Mbs on a 13GB video file).

Get info on the volume shows a wheel user group and no admin usergroup. I've tried repairing permissions in Disk Utility, adding an admin group but it didn't seem to help.
getinfo.png

Not sure if wheel is supposed to be in the permissions or not to be honest!
I was wondering if its something that Carbon Copy Cloner has configured for backups etc. (I have a whole drive clone - 'delete anything different' setup. I usually run it before I install anything system related).

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back