Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> tried to update to 12.3.1 with opencore, reboots into recovery mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700
Graphics
5700XT
today I installed the update from 12.3 to 12.3.1 with the latest opencore installed. but at the 1st (or second?) reboot Opencore boots into recoverymode. it skips the picker, so I can't choose from which partition to boot. It should automaticly pick the right one, but it doesn't...

any clues?

ok here is my EFI.
so here is what's happening now:
I can boot my installation (verbose), after a few moments it switches to graphic and shows a progress bar progressing to about halfway, then reboots, skips the picker, and boots into recovery mode.

thanks for looking!

Attachments

• EFI - piellekes.zip
    32.2 MB · Views: 66
Looked at your EFI folder in the following order:
1. BOOT, OC/OpenCore.efi, OpenCanopy.efi, and OpenRuntime.efi are all dated 3/7/22, indicating OpenCore version 0.7.9.
2. None of the files in OC/ACPI are of the 3-7-22 date, and at least most should be. Updated docs are in the OpenCore package you downloaded and should be used as a baseline. (I don't recognize the DESIGNARE files, so no comment on those.)
3. In OC/Drivers, I think OpenCore supersedes ApfsDriverLoader.efi and you can delete that.
4. Looking in OC/Kexts, do you have both an Intel Bluetooth card and a Broadcom Airport card? Just curious.

Config.plist comments:
1. In ACPI/Add, IMHO you should delete line 6, and also delete the SSDT-UIAC-Designaire-Z390-V5.aml file in OC/ACPI folder. I think there is a conflict between that file and USBPorts.kext, which also describes your USB port configuration.
2. In ACPI/Quirks, my ResetLogoStatus says YES, yours says NO. Just sayin'.
3. In Kernel/Add/8, you are not enabling AirportBrcmFixup. If not, why have the kext at all? Similar comment in Kernel/Add/10, IntelBluetoothInjector.kext.
4. In Kernal/Quirks, DisableIOMapper, I have Value NO, you have YES. Board difference?
5. In Kernal/Quirks, DisableLinkeditJettison, I have Value YES, you have NO. Board difference?
6. In Misc/Boot, I have LauncherOption Value Disabled, you have Full. Just sayin'.
7. In Misc/Boot, I have PollAppleHotKeys Value NO, you have YES. (Have no idea here.)
8. In Misc/Boot, I have TakeoffDelay Value 0, you have 5. (Your choice, I guess.)
9. In Misc/Debug, for the first 3 items I have NO, you have YES (I use the Release, not Debug copy of OpenCore).
10. In Misc/Security, I have SecureBootModel Value Disabled, you have J137. Just sayin'.
11. In NVRAM/Add, I have an additional item not present in yours... it's as follows:
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 - Dictionary - 1key/value pairs
rtc-blacklist - Data - 0 bytes
12. In NVRAM/Delete, I have 3 items you do not have. (Don't know why; they are part of the sample plist.)
13. In UEFI/Drivers, IMHO you don't want or need item 3 here, or in OC/Drivers folder either. Check it out.
14. In UEFI/ProtocolOverrides, I have FirmwareVolume Value YES, you have NO. (Maybe board difference?)
15. In UEFI/Quirks, I have EnableVectorAcceleration Value YES, you have NO.

Have fun!

Looked at your EFI folder in the following order:
1. BOOT, OC/OpenCore.efi, OpenCanopy.efi, and OpenRuntime.efi are all dated 3/7/22, indicating OpenCore version 0.7.9.
2. None of the files in OC/ACPI are of the 3-7-22 date, and at least most should be. Updated docs are in the OpenCore package you downloaded and should be used as a baseline. (I don't recognize the DESIGNARE files, so no comment on those.)
3. In OC/Drivers, I think OpenCore supersedes ApfsDriverLoader.efi and you can delete that.
4. Looking in OC/Kexts, do you have both an Intel Bluetooth card and a Broadcom Airport card? Just curious.

Config.plist comments:
1. In ACPI/Add, IMHO you should delete line 6, and also delete the SSDT-UIAC-Designaire-Z390-V5.aml file in OC/ACPI folder. I think there is a conflict between that file and USBPorts.kext, which also describes your USB port configuration.
2. In ACPI/Quirks, my ResetLogoStatus says YES, yours says NO. Just sayin'.
3. In Kernel/Add/8, you are not enabling AirportBrcmFixup. If not, why have the kext at all? Similar comment in Kernel/Add/10, IntelBluetoothInjector.kext.
4. In Kernal/Quirks, DisableIOMapper, I have Value NO, you have YES. Board difference?
5. In Kernal/Quirks, DisableLinkeditJettison, I have Value YES, you have NO. Board difference?
6. In Misc/Boot, I have LauncherOption Value Disabled, you have Full. Just sayin'.
7. In Misc/Boot, I have PollAppleHotKeys Value NO, you have YES. (Have no idea here.)
8. In Misc/Boot, I have TakeoffDelay Value 0, you have 5. (Your choice, I guess.)
9. In Misc/Debug, for the first 3 items I have NO, you have YES (I use the Release, not Debug copy of OpenCore).
10. In Misc/Security, I have SecureBootModel Value Disabled, you have J137. Just sayin'.
11. In NVRAM/Add, I have an additional item not present in yours... it's as follows:
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102 - Dictionary - 1key/value pairs
rtc-blacklist - Data - 0 bytes
12. In NVRAM/Delete, I have 3 items you do not have. (Don't know why; they are part of the sample plist.)
13. In UEFI/Drivers, IMHO you don't want or need item 3 here, or in OC/Drivers folder either. Check it out.
14. In UEFI/ProtocolOverrides, I have FirmwareVolume Value YES, you have NO. (Maybe board difference?)
15. In UEFI/Quirks, I have EnableVectorAcceleration Value YES, you have NO.

Have fun!

Thanks WStrohm for the time you put into this. alas no solution yet, But I will keep searching.
-I updated a few files in the ACPI,
-apdsdriverloader is indeed obsolete, deleted that.
-yeah I have two WIFI cards, the broadcom had poor speed/high-cpu load (It's old) and the intel one is the one I am using now, better. now is a good time to remove those unused old files/references ;)

-thanks for pointing out the usb conflict, fixed that.
-When I changed DisableIOMapper to NO, my wifi stopped working.
the rest of the entries you mentioned did not affect the working of my setup as far as I can tell.

So, the search continues. any help is welcome, and if I find the problem, will post it here.

Would you mind again uploading your EFI folder as it looks now? Thanks in advance!
[Edit: I was wrong about "DisableIOMapper," sorry. It should only be "NO" if Vt-d is disabled in the BIOS, which mine is.]

Last edited:
Thanks WStrohm for the time you put into this. alas no solution yet, But I will keep searching.
-I updated a few files in the ACPI,
-apdsdriverloader is indeed obsolete, deleted that.
-yeah I have two WIFI cards, the broadcom had poor speed/high-cpu load (It's old) and the intel one is the one I am using now, better. now is a good time to remove those unused old files/references ;)

-thanks for pointing out the usb conflict, fixed that.
-When I changed DisableIOMapper to NO, my wifi stopped working.
the rest of the entries you mentioned did not affect the working of my setup as far as I can tell.

So, the search continues. any help is welcome, and if I find the problem, will post it here.
HI - If I may, try this EFI Folder on a USB test disk, I took the liberty and made quite a few changes to your EFI Folder. I changed the iMac model to 19.1 (Coffee Lake) more suited to your specs I think, I also generated new data to suit 19.1 but you can always generate your own. All Drivers and kext files has updated to latest versions as well as the OC version. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 123
HI - If I may, try this EFI Folder on a USB test disk, I took the liberty and made quite a few changes to your EFI Folder. I changed the iMac model to 19.1 (Coffee Lake) more suited to your specs I think, I also generated new data to suit 19.1 but you can always generate your own. All Drivers and kext files has updated to latest versions as well as the OC version. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

SUCCES!

thanks esafeddie, your EFI folder worked like a charm, the update completed succesfully and it rebooted right into 12.3.1.

----couple of interresting things:
-with your efi i had 0 working usb ports, so no input was possible, but not needed because I only needed the process to complete.
-the startup time with my EFI is veeeery long. with your EFI it is really quick.

What is the takeaway here? should I change the mac modelnumber in my EFI? other things?

What is the takeaway here? should I change the mac modelnumber in my EFI? other things?
It's entirely up to you my friend, maybe it would be a good idea to change the data i.e S/N, SmUUID and ROM as they are now exposed to all (if you know what I mean ;)) but keep the iMac Model as 19.1, Happy it worked out for you though, enjoy. :headbang:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back