Contribute
Register

Transfer system to different hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P55M-UD2
CPU
i5-750
Graphics
560TI
I just ordered an SSD and want to transfer my current install to it when it shows up. What would be the best way to do this without having to install again? My plan is to move everything except my user directory over and then symlink to my user directory.

The easiest way to me is to restore one drive to the other with Disk Utility, though this will copy your user directory over as well (which you could of course just delete so you can use a symbolic link).

I recently transferred my system from an 80 GB HD to a 500 GB HD without any problems using SuperDuper. Here's what I did:

1. Launch SuperDuper and clone the HD
2. Restart; when Chameleon screen appears, press spacebar and boot into the cloned HD
3. Launch Multibeast and install Chameleon 2.0 RC4 by AsereBLN on the cloned HD
4. Launch Disk Utility and repair permissions

This is what I have done and it produced an identical, cloned bootable drive.

Bruno

I went ahead and just installed OSX clean on the SSD. Installed from within OSX, rebooted, ran Multibeast and Combo Update, rebooted and I'm good. I used the Advanced Options in the user preferences to change my user directory to the existing one on my other hard drive. Everything's good to go.

Pretty big difference too:

500GB Seagate 7200.11
hd.jpg

60GB OCZ Vertex SSD
ssd.jpg

mrgstiffler said:
I went ahead and just installed OSX clean on the SSD. Installed from within OSX, rebooted, ran Multibeast and Combo Update, rebooted and I'm good. I used the Advanced Options in the user preferences to change my user directory to the existing one on my other hard drive. Everything's good to go.

Pretty big difference too:

500GB Seagate 7200.11
hd.jpg

60GB OCZ Vertex SSD
ssd.jpg

whoa- I have to get me one of those ssds for my system drive! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back