nVidia 9500
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

I just want to say many thanks for all the community - this is a great asset. Keep posting infos and successes, as this is the only way we can help each other!

Back to business: for anybody who's struggling with WiFi PCI cards on Lion: I successfully installed and use the TP-Link TL-WN551G with one of my builds. The only extra stuff needed was the AetherosFix.kext. The card shows up as "WiFi", so it's not being considered to be a genuine Airport card, but does work properly. Speed is around 16-20 megabits/sec (that might be a limitation of my access point).

Some helpful info: I found out, that the easiest way to build up the OS for the hack, is to use a genuine Apple computer. Of course it's not a great help for anybody with a lone PC, but if you can borrow a Mac for some hours, you can have the build working in much less time.

This is how I do it:
- I remove all the hard disks from the original Mac (in my case its a 1st gen MacPro), and install the hard disk to be used as the system disk for the hack.
- I boot up the Mac with the retail Snow Leopard DVD, holding down the 'C' key on the keyboard
- I do a format on the hard disk with the Disk Utility, then
- I perform a full install, leaving out the unneeded stuff (languages, printers, etc. - you might need them),
- after booting into the fresh install, I perform a full update using Software Update to reach 10.6.8
- after rebooting, I use the retail Lion stick to step up to 10.7.0
- afterwards I install the hard disk into the build, then
- I boot into the fresh Lion using the lates iBoot (currently v3.3)

At that point most of the things must work, if you use 'certified' (=proven) mobos, graphics cards, etc. The most important thing to get to work is the Ethernet, since in the next step

- I update the whole system to 10.7.4, then
- I use MultiBeast to customize the system. The DSDT method is the way to go, if you can find your mobo's version in the library.

This last step is a hit or miss sometimes, but again, if you use proven parts, you should get all the important parts working in no time.

My current build is as follows:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Graphics card: Gigabyte GeForce 210
WiFi: TP-Link TL-WN551G
all built into an old G5's house

You can see the contents of my E/E folder in the png below. Hope his helps.

Regards,

P.

Attachments

• AtherosFix.kext.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 3.33.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 3.33.14 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 449
thanks for info

I know this is an old thread, but i was trying to make the TL-WN551G working on my Sierra Hackintosh.
I tried that kext ( both normal and modified cause mine is pci168c,1c not 1a) but the card has literally disappeared even from DPCIManager :O
Any suggestions?

gave up. I will buy an original wifi airport cart and use it with an adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back