Contribute
Register

Toshiba A660-11M successful install: upd. 12 jan 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Toshiba A660 - 11M [solved] successful install (QE/CI incl)

no worries, thanks for the reply and goodluck with deadlines!

stuart

Forch, thank you for all of your hard work. A lot of your information has helped me with my own build on an A665-S6065.

Could you please post your DSDT and/or Kexts as mentioned in your last update? I'm still struggling with a few things, and I'd like to see how you addressed the problems.

Thank you again.
-TD

Hi,
I stopped working on laptop hacks, too much stuff (on "almost" all laptops) just don't work, and one of those would be the battery.

I've attached the kexts and DSDT.aml, good luck with it ;) Just some side notes

KEXSTS:
Only has Ethernet/Audio kext, don't know if they work for your hardware.

You have to add the FakeSMC yourself, whichever version you are using now.

I replaced the wireless with a 9285 atheros, you can download the 10.6.5 IO80211Family that supports it, google for it

VoodooTSCSync is something you have to experiment with, you can download it from anywhere, google for it.

DSDTs:
DSDT_20.aml was the latest version I was working on for edits/hacks.

It appears I do not have the DSDT_20.dsl, if I find it, I'll post it here.

dsdt_clean.dsl has all the edit versions in the first comment. I started cleaning this DSDT because the DSDT version from the BIOS is just one big freak show. I would not compile and use the dsdt_clean.dsl, only if you really understand what I've done and was trying to do. I don't know how much your hardware differs.

I also changed a lot of input/ouput addresses in the .dsl version, where I eventually discovered that a lot of stuff got corrupted during the boot phase .. and that just lost my interest.

Please compare your DSDT with mine, use DSDTEditor and use the compare function.

Good luck and cheers ;)

Attachments

• DSDTs.zip
    69.4 KB · Views: 131
  • KEXTS.zip
    278.6 KB · Views: 136
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I look forward to looking at your DSDT.

I agree with the frustration factor. This has been much more time consuming than my last netbook build, and I'm definitely growing weary with all of the reloads ;)

From the sound of things, I may not be too far off. I've switched the wifi with a RTL8187SE (using the Realtek Driver and App), LAN via Lnx2Mac's Kext, and audio with a patched VoodooHDA (IOPCIMatch 3b568086). Like your previous post on VoodooTSCSync, I had gotten up to 5 threads before the KPs outweighed the successes.

Thank you again,
-TD

Yea, that's why I'm on a MBP Pro now ;)

Good luck with the build.

You should make a quick guide on how you've done that stuff as you said. i got a similar tosbiba(a660-17j) but im new and i dont understand half of the stuff you explained :/ yet some stuff helped me like the cpus=1 busratio=12 which allowed me to install without lag, but now i cant run mac OS unless i use that command line each time i load it, and i cant also get it to boot without iboot cause i get this screen
IMG_0726.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 224
Hi Chronoz,

The toshiba's are really a no go, these laptops are just one big pile of **** .. seriously .. You have to modify iBoot bootdisk, remove all none-kexts, I did some explaining in some posts about how to create your own boot-disk, search my posts for it. I believe your busratio is not 12, but 13. So you have to use cpu=1 busratio=13 after every boot until you managed to get the legacy kernel working for all 4 cores/8 threads. Or by chance just patch it yourself to get rid of the lapic problem (google for "mach_kernel lapic.c").

As I said, I'm not working on these laptops anymore, I've got debian running on it now and using a MBP for my main work.

Cheers

The toshiba laptop where this thread is about has a 330M, not a 310M. I don't think that there is any Mac with 310M graphics, you can try the 320M specs though.

Find your display EDID and NVRAM of your card, and use the DSDT card injection method, I believe I've seen someone getting it to work, but I'm not sure (do some searching on insanelymac too).

Cheers

Hi everyone,
just checking if anyone is still working on that the a660-10m. The i7 720qm drive me crazy...
I have one with OSX 10.7.1.
Everything is working but wireless and some CPU issues. (wireless card will be replaced if I get CPU working fine)

I got 2 cores and 4 threads working with voodooTSCSync as everyone. I wonder if anyone found a fix to that?

Also, even more important for me. Speedstep is not working at all, making the life battery really bad and the CPU to heat a lot.

I tried to play with DSDTs but I don t really know what to do with that.

Thanks for that helpful thread anyway!

Forget the idea for these Toshiba series (and most of the other newer Toshiba's as well) to used as a hackingtosh. The CPU problem can't be fixed through DSDT, there is more that needs to be fixed. Only solution to fix the CPU problem (all cores/threads working) is with a patched kernel, and to be more specific, the lapic.c. It is a timestamp issue that makes the cores work out of sync, and this sync problem is being correct when you patch the lapic.c file.

So you have be warned if you still buy a Toshiba from this point on ;)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back