Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
first remember i'm not on the same EXACT mobo… mine is the z87x-oc with F6 bios
BUT i saw the QVL for certified ram is the same… i picked up my gskill kit from there, the code is in my previous post. i was tempted to get the same kit for 32gb (4x8gb) but no real need so opted for 2x8 thinking if the mobo has issue with 4 sticks it would cost me 2z8gb pointless sticks.

for now no freezes, running up to 3 monitors (2x hdmi 1x DP), pro audio converter (via usb2), 2x music mixing controllers (via builtin ethernet).

I did a build for a friend on the z87x-oc (for big protools sessions) and it is working like a charm haha!

I'm gonna try for the 4*1333MHz, then 2*1600MHz dual and single chan, and i'll come back here with the results, thanks for the ref of your GSkill RAM :)

I did a build for a friend on the z87x-oc (for big protools sessions) and it is working like a charm haha!

I'm gonna try for the 4*1333MHz, then 2*1600MHz dual and single chan, and i'll come back here with the results, thanks for the ref of your GSkill RAM :)

You gotta realize that switching two different types of the same RAM won't prove anything, the issue is that the motherboard doesn't always accept that model number, not that the RAM is bad.

I've done some more reading on GA's site and the motherboard manual. The Z87MX-D3H is designed to work with 1333 and 1600 memory, or words to that effect. So, since my BIOS and Mavericks System Information > Memory reports recognizes the 1600 memory with XMP set to Default, I'm thinking that the BIOS recognizes both 1333 and 1600 w/o setting XMP to Profile1. So, if you have 1333 or 1600 memory, keep the XMP set to Default.

Stork, on the Gigabyte user forum i read many people having issues with ram.
it seems haswell mobo series dame out with this flaw and it's not blame or ram itself.
many wrote trying to raise voltage a bit, others down clocking to 1333 (xmp or not), someone just solved removing 2 sticks… and this made me think about the EXACT ram product code they using.

so i checked my Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9B kit i firstly bought is not listed here:
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z87x-oc.pdf

but that corsair low profile ram worked well when i used 2x 4gb only…removing 2 sticks it's the cure to stop freezes ??

next natural step has been to decide picking a kit from the QVL pdf.
the kingston hyper-x i got was pure 1600mhz standard rated and tested memory, NOT XMP, and that's what bios detected from first boot. but with this ram cpu parameters was wrongly recognized.

with GSkill kit and selecting XMP1 i have all the tipical 4770k parameters like they should be, so i think the XMP factor has its relevancy

Good info. Now, I wonder what Gigabyte's solution will be? 9 series motherboards? LOL :lol:

Well, I'm pressing on with my two memory sticks (2x8GB) with XMP set to Default. I doubt that I'll overclock.

Good info. Now, I wonder what Gigabyte's solution will be? 9 series motherboards? LOL :lol:

Well, I'm pressing on with my two memory sticks (2x8GB) with XMP set to Default. I doubt that I'll overclock.

It looks like this is gonna be the way to go. With the new RAM i got (CMZ16GX3M2A2133C10) It is recognized properly at 1600Mhz with XMP=disabled(default) and no freezes. Right now I'm running at 1866Mhz with some (very few) freezes but I'm playing with the voltages to see if I can fix things that way..

All in all it seems like the culprit is XMP itself, though those few model numbers exacerbate the issue....

OC mobo incorporates a bios option for specific XMP overclocking "presets" for some fast ram modules tested at very high frequency, check if you have the same call into D3H bios...

spreaded words is if you want real 2133 ram get gskill…
they make gaming performance sticks at fari price:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/gskill-ddr3-32gb_8.html

Hello,

i plan to buy this motherboard as my AMD isn't stable.. my question is, can i install ML 10.8.3 to this motherboard first and then update to 10.8.5?

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back