Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome Stork,
Really liked your suggestion.
So 650 Ti Boost is Good to go I guess :) Right?
I try gather some fund and get that fast :)
Will post my rig...
--
NicoX
I'd highly suggest the 650 ti boost over the 650 ti. I have the 650 ti, and its basically a 660 with a bunch of features missing, so many that it really affects performance. The 650 ti boost on the other hand has almost all the features of the 600, except for a few cores disabled, and thus nearly the same performance of a 660 for such a low price. Its only a few more dollars than a 650 ti.

I'd highly suggest the 650 ti boost over the 650 ti. I have the 650 ti, and its basically a 660 with a bunch of features missing, so many that it really affects performance. The 650 ti boost on the other hand has almost all the features of the 600, except for a few cores disabled, and thus nearly the same performance of a 660 for such a low price. Its only a few more dollars than a 650 ti.
Thanks aaron97, am also read the same in couple of web links :)

I would think so, but I only have the 650 Ti. The only reason I'm using a graphics card is to help tonymacx86 beta testing. Otherwise I'm a happy camper with the Intel Integrated Graphics, which I'm using right now with my Zorro system (driving two monitors, no less). :thumbup:
Thanks Sir Stork :headbang:
Am going towards 650 ti boost I guess... just for info...
An office mate of mine said like 'if you got some more bucks to make your build future proof you can go to 760 also, may be MSI Hawk' here ...
:arrow: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N760-HAWK.html
:arrow: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Graphics-N760-HAWK/dp/B00ENU2KAQ/

Actually is cuts lot of my bucks for sure but it will be future proof too.
Any idea if Hawk be compatible with hakintosh? :)
MSI OC vs is compatible I guess.
:idea: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIH8OW8/

--
Regards
NicoX

NicoX,
I recommend you post your graphics card question in the Buying Advice forum section. I'm like tonymacx86 in this build, I use a graphics card only went I'm helping out compatibility testing. It turns out that everything I need to do with respect to graphics can be accomplished with an i7 processor and Intel's Integrated Graphics (HD3000, HD4000, HD46000). Did you see the 760 graphics cards recommended in the Buyer's Guide?

Also, I'd recommend Tom's H/W's monthly Best [Gaming] Graphics Cards For The Money. Be advised that the new AMD/ATI are not easily integrated (get working) with OS X which is why the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide recommends nVidia 600 and 700 series graphics cards.

NicoX,
I recommend you post your graphics card question in the Buying Advice forum section. I'm like tonymacx86 in this build, I use a graphics card only went I'm helping out compatibility testing. It turns out that everything I need to do with respect to graphics can be accomplished with an i7 processor and Intel's Integrated Graphics (HD3000, HD4000, HD46000). Did you see the 760 graphics cards recommended in the Buyer's Guide?

Also, I'd recommend Tom's H/W's monthly Best [Gaming] Graphics Cards For The Money. Be advised that the new AMD/ATI are not easily integrated (get working) with OS X which is why the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide recommends nVidia 600 and 700 series graphics cards.

I will for sure sorry for misplacing :silent:
Just for info I also look for Best [Gaming] Graphics Cards For The Money .
Q "Did you see the 760 graphics cards recommended in the Buyer's Guide?"
A: I looked that always found MSI 760 OC :) But I did not find MSI 760 Hawk

Thanks
NicoX

so.. just finished my setup of this build and everything seems to be working fine except for 3 items:

1 - No Sound

I ran the setup using Tony's MultiBeast .mb file, installed and then rebooted. Reboots fine.. but still no sound. I checked to ensure speakers are on and volume is set. thoughts?

2 - Cannot book from F12 to MAC OS drive.... dual boot with win 7 setup

When I reboot - I'm not getting any menu to choose my OS options (Chimera?) but when I hit F12 then choose my UFI MAC drive, it boots right into win 7. The only way I can get it to book to Mavericks is to use the USB drive and choose my MAC installation drive from there.

3 - Maps doesn't work on first try

Opening MAPS on first try after boot brings up app with corrupted looking screen... closing and re-opening application fixes the problem... someone else had the same issue but no solution was given.

Would love to fix these 3 problems - no sound is a deal breaker of course. Thx in advance for your help...

Hardware is the same as TonyMac's except for i5 Haswell instead of i7 chip... using Sata HD for Mac and SSD for Win 7 and have a 650 ti video card enabled.

Thx!!

Hi
thanks for your incredible work.
Is it possible to use an apple cinema display with your build to use the built in cam, and the usb port?
Thx again
Olivier

so.. just finished my setup of this build and everything seems to be working fine except for 3 items:

1 - No Sound

I ran the setup using Tony's MultiBeast .mb file, installed and then rebooted. Reboots fine.. but still no sound. I checked to ensure speakers are on and volume is set. thoughts?

When I reboot - I'm not getting any menu to choose my OS options (Chimera?) but when I hit F12 then choose my UFI MAC drive, it boots right into win 7. The only way I can get it to book to Mavericks is to use the USB drive and choose my MAC installation drive from there.

Opening MAPS on first try after boot brings up app with corrupted looking screen... closing and re-opening application fixes the problem... someone else had the same issue but no solution was given.

Would love to fix these 3 problems - no sound is a deal breaker of course. Thx in advance for your help...

Hardware is the same as TonyMac's except for i5 Haswell instead of i7 chip... using Sata HD for Mac and SSD for Win 7 and have a 650 ti video card enabled.

Thx!!

Hmm.. tried a number of things but just can't get this to work... any thoughts? Thx.

I have built a machine based on this, with the same board and an i5, internal graphics only. Used the instructions here and in Mavericks section exclusively. Apart from a minor hiccup, after which I wiped and started over, it's been working great (and I will eventually post in the userbuilds section).

I have one minor thing, occasional freezes with consistently the same error in console, xpcproxy assertion failed. I'll keep trying to narrow it down, but so far haven't been able to trace the issue to any causes, like plugging/unplugging drives or anything like that.

Still using in a limited environment so there may be some things I've not yet checked, but (for example) neither imessage, facetime, or audio over hdmi matter to me.

1 - No Sound

Thx!!

Think I may need to start over and try this again... everything works great so long as I boot from USB except for sound... thought onboard sound was supported with this build? Oh.. and the Maps thing but that's hardly a big deal....

Think I may need to start over and try this again... everything works great so long as I boot from USB except for sound... thought onboard sound was supported with this build? Oh.. and the Maps thing but that's hardly a big deal....

Fixed issue #2 - I updated my BIOS to F5 and now I see Chimera boot loader and can boot without USB... so good there!

MAPS is still broken upon boot.. and the biggest issue - still no sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back