Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
...But you're right, mine is not listed in that support list. Mine is CML8GX3M2A1600C9.

[Note: I just checked Corsair's website for compatibility against this motherboard and the product configurator brought up precisely the memory I have. So I guess that's not a reliable indicator...
http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore ]
I'm favoring GA's memory list as they've tested & verified our Buyer's Guide memory. So, YMMA (your mileage may vary).

I'm favoring GA's memory list as they've tested & verified our Buyer's Guide memory. So, YMMA (your mileage may vary).

Why don't we start a Wiki for acronyms used by the Mods whose fingers are tired/worn out from
typing all day long ? :thumbup: It'd be a great feature to have AFAIK. ;)

lokin, Armoured, et al,
Please give the model # of the Corsair memory like it's listed in the GA memory pdf in post #466 and whether or not your memory is on the list. TIA.

I'm trying to narrow this problem down to memory and/or GA's BIOS. MacMan's Z87X build uses the Crucial Ballistix 16GB 2x8GB (BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0) memory, and he doesn't have any problem with freezes with XMP1 set to Profile1.

Oh boy, looks like I have CML16GX3M2A1600C10 as well... I wonder if this is our problem.
Screenshot 2014-02-17 16.17.48.jpg

Edit: Hey stork, do your ram sticks have the extended heatsink? or are they like these?4100Cgee3NL.jpg

Double Edit: Oh my god there are so many models of the same RAM.

lokin,
My Corsair have the extended fins, not the low profile memory modules.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246
51MXy7QSXuL._AA160_.jpg

As I noted, the BIOS recognized the memory as 1600 with the correct specs without having to set XMP to Profile1. So, what does your memory spec's show up as with XMP=default in both the BIOS and in the Mavericks System Preferences > Memory?

lokin,
My Corsair have the extended fins, not the low profile memory modules.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246
51MXy7QSXuL._AA160_.jpg

As I noted, the BIOS recognized the memory as 1600 with the correct specs without having to set XMP to Profile1. So, what does your memory spec's show up as with XMP=default in both the BIOS and in the Mavericks System Preferences > Memory?

Both in Bios and system profile with "optimized defaults" that is XMP=Disabled I see 1333MHz.
My system becomes unusably unstable with either XMP activated or the memory manually set at 1600Mhz.

Edit: It might be worth noting that I also have my RAM in slot 1 and 3, though system profiler sees it as slot 2 and 3.

Mine shows up as 1333. So it seems this system is somewhat sensitive to memory, even if the specs seem to nominally be the same.

Not a big deal for me as the 1333 works fine and fast enough, and frankly I was pretty ignorant at the time of purchase/assembly, and hopefully this will be useful info to others trying.

Looks like the advice of dealing with freezes by setting to default and/or checking memory carefully is still useful - although better to buy the right memory to being with!

Thanks again Stork.

Mine shows up as 1333. So it seems this system is somewhat sensitive to memory, even if the specs seem to nominally be the same.

Not a big deal for me as the 1333 works fine and fast enough, and frankly I was pretty ignorant at the time of purchase/assembly, and hopefully this will be useful info to others trying.

Looks like the advice of dealing with freezes by setting to default and/or checking memory carefully is still useful - although better to buy the right memory to being with!

Thanks again Stork.

Yeah... I don't feel like I need anything faster. But I paid for it and have the OC bug, so I think I'll return mine for credit towards either the proper January RAM or even the February RAM.

Oh boy, looks like I have CML16GX3M2A1600C10 as well... I wonder if this is our problem.
View attachment 83725

Edit: Hey stork, do your ram sticks have the extended heatsink? or are they like these?View attachment 83727

Double Edit: Oh my god there are so many models of the same RAM.

lokin,

I also have the same memory that you have in my system, same motherboard also. My system have been working fine since it was build, everything works, didn't do anything different, just follow the guide. I think the problem is in your system not reporting memory in the right banks, on my system, memory is reported in the right locations I inserted the memory (bank 0 and 2). Hope this helps. My BIOS is F6

lokin,

I also have the same memory that you have in my system, same motherboard also. My system have been working fine since it was build, everything works, didn't do anything different, just follow the guide. I think the problem is in your system not reporting memory in the right banks, on my system, memory is reported in the right locations I inserted the memory (bank 0 and 2). Hope this helps. My BIOS is F6

Our Mobos have 4 RAM DIMM slots. 1|3 2|4 If you're looking directly at the mobo. Mine are in 1 and 3.

That is how RAM has been aligned in motherboards for a long time. But since you mentioned it I tried to put my ram in 1 and 2 and just got a boot loop. It seems as though the 2|4 DIMM slots do not work for me...

Any idea what could be going on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back