Contribute
Register

Tons of problems, can't figure out any of them (GA-P55-USB3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I used the settings you posted on your blog.

A couple things...

- I had to set the ram voltage to 1.4v, 1.3 would cause a boot error
- I set the QPI to x32

So I'm running at a measly 2.88Ghz right now, with ram at 1600MHz. Everything seems to be stable, nothing's crashed yet. All apps seem to be working ok so far.

I would like to be able to overclock it higher, but until I get a quieter fan, I'm not going to bother.

Thanks for the info. :)

EDIT: hmm... just ran Geekbench, scored 7233.. that's low.

Also, my bus speed only shows as 640MHz in System Profiler. Is that normal?

kloan said:
Installed that heatsink (was a bitch to install). Fan is just as noisy. Tried overlocking, the majority of my apps would freeze.

The fan for the video card is super loud as well. What a piece of s***. I'm not liking anything about this rig. Feel like selling it and going back to Apple.
Sorry to hear that the Hyper 212+ didn't work out for you. Doesn't it com with any inline resistors you can addon to "silence" the fan? It's listed as 12db at the quietest setting.

If silence and top quality is your only concern, I would highly recommend the fan I am using, the Noctua NH-D14: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... a%20NH-D14
35-608-018-TS

It is one of the quietest & best performing air cooler out there. I'm running it on "silence mode"(low fan speed) at 4.2Ghz, I need to put my ears up next to the fan to be able to detect any noticeable noise, and I have good hearing. Alternatively, if you're not planning on overclocking & have moderately good in-case airflow, you can even run the CPU without the fans for 0db operation. However, it's probably also "a bitch to install" for you since it has a back plate too.

As for overclocking, it's really not for everyone. If you're a big fan of apple's philosophy and expect things to "just works", don't bother. It is for people who enjoy tinkering and don't mind lots of testing, trial & errors and at the risk of damaging your system if you're not careful to unlock the hardware's potential, because there isn't a universal settings that works for everyone.

kloan said:
Ok, I used the settings you posted on your blog.

A couple things...

- I had to set the ram voltage to 1.4v, 1.3 would cause a boot error
:O
The 1.3/1.4V is ONLY for G.Skill ECO
Is that the one you are using ?
If not, that would explain your crashes...

EDIT: hmm... just ran Geekbench, scored 7233.. that's low.
For an i5, that sound about right to me... I'm getting GB32 ~8740 on my i7-860 @ stock clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back