Contribute
Register

Tons of problems, can't figure out any of them (GA-P55-USB3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It scored 7485 using the 64bit version.

I wish I'd have read about the dvd drive affecting sleep, I would have ordered a different one. :(

kloan said:
It scored 7485 using the 64bit version.

I wish I'd have read about the dvd drive affecting sleep, I would have ordered a different one. :(
that sounds slightly low for your cpu, but not by too much and i'm not 100% sure on that.

yes a supported dvd drive would be nice. I actually have an older Sony DVD-RW lying around, it's just slower than my Lite-On, but I'm not even going to bother swapping them with SleepWatcher working flawlessly for auto sleep. Just copy & paste few lines of code and download the file, you'll be good to go.

I don't have a Sony or Pioneer drive either. Shoot. Does anyone know why in 10.6.5 when my computer goes to "sleep" it turns off until I touch it a button and then it turns back on but goes through the boot process?

laguna1212 said:
I don't have a Sony or Pioneer drive either. Shoot. Does anyone know why in 10.6.5 when my computer goes to "sleep" it turns off until I touch it a button and then it turns back on but goes through the boot process?
Not sure, mine sleeps and wakes up ok now.. I have to do it manually, but I don't mind that at all.

Maybe try shinew's custom DSDT? That's what I'm using.

This is what I did to get mine up and running properly (except audio, front ports don't work, not sure if 5.1 works because I don't have a 5.1 set up):

- UserDSDT (shinew's custom DSDT)
- System Utilities
- Audio -> AppleHDA 10.6.2 Rollback & LegacyAppleHDA.kext (from shinew)
- Disk -> JMicron ATA and SATA
- Miscellaneous -> USB Rollback & USB 3.0 Support
- Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental
- com.apple.boot.plist - > 64bit Apple Boot Screen
- smbios.plist -> Mac Pro -> 4.1 ->i5

shinew said:
cool, your sound should both work for the front panel & back. I'm not sure the MacPro4,1 smbios is the best one for your setup. You might want to run Geekbench to make sure your system performance is about right, should be around 8000-9000.

Since you don't have a Sony or Pioneer dvd-rw, you won't be able to auto-sleep. So you have another guide in my signature to follow if you want to make that work(make sure you can manually enter sleep & wake up from it first though).

p.s. I usually find the stock fan to be pretty quite. you just can't overclock with these things. what case are you using?
Sound on the front isn't working... am I missing an extension? I only have the rollback and the legacy ones installed.

Since sleep is working manually, I'm going to leave it as is. I don't need auto-sleep atm.

The CPU fan has an annoying oscillating high pitched frequency that drives me nuts. I stuck a pen in it briefly and the noise went away for a bit, but it came back. The fan on the video card is noticeable as well, but not nearly as annoying. The PSU fan, I think is pretty quiet.. likely the quietest out of the three of them.

The case is this one: http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/11520 ... 0Computer/

I had to disconnect the case fan because it was ridiculously loud.

I'm still trying to find an inexpensive CPU cooler. There are so many out there, I'm not sure which one to choose. I've seen a bunch with the brackets that install underside the mobo, which I'm not going to get because I really don't feel like taking apart the whole system to install it.

I'd rather not have to spend more than $40 on the cooler, so far I haven't been able to find one.

kloan said:
Sound on the front isn't working... am I missing an extension? I only have the rollback and the legacy ones installed.
Do you have the Rev 2 board with F8 BIOS? also double check if you've connected the cable correctly for the Front Audio.

This cooler is probably your best bet for the price range. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llHelpful1

shinew said:
kloan said:
Do you have the Rev 2 board with F8 BIOS? also double check if you've connected the cable correctly for the Front Audio.

This cooler is probably your best bet for the price range. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llHelpful1
Well, it's F8 but I'm not sure if it's Rev 2... I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in the BIOS. Would it be on the box somewhere?

The front audio panel was working previously, but there was a lot of static or hdd interference noise.

Thanks for the link! I had this one in my cart, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6835106139 but I'm thinking the Coolermaster one will probably be better.

Installed that heatsink (was a bitch to install). Fan is just as noisy. Tried overlocking, the majority of my apps would freeze.

The fan for the video card is super loud as well. What a piece of s***. I'm not liking anything about this rig. Feel like selling it and going back to Apple.

Attachments

• 1.zip
    157.3 KB · Views: 64
kloan said:
Installed that heatsink (was a bitch to install). Fan is just as noisy. Tried overlocking, the majority of my apps would freeze.
Yes, the 212 fan is quite loud...
I always recommend the Scythe Mugen-2 (but you didn't want one with the backplate)... It's not that much more expensive than the Hyper 212...

In any case, if properly installed, your apps shouldn't be freezing... Or you overclocked too much...

Start with a stable non-overclocked build (the 212 shouldn't be *that* loud on idle).
Once everything is OK, only then you can consider overclocking (while monitoring temps)...

Only then, if it's still loud for you, consider replacing the Cooler and case fans by Scythe Slipstreams, or Noctuas (expensive)...

The fan for the video card is super loud as well. What a piece of s***.
Hmmm...
IIRC that's the one that MacMan uses, and he states it's not loud at all !
Might be an installation issue... :think:

I'm not liking anything about this rig. Feel like selling it and going back to Apple.
:(
Check out my almost-silent (My MBP-17" is louder :lol:) build on my blog...
Also the optimal BIOS settings I posted there should help you squeeze the most out of it.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac said:
Yes, the 212 fan is quite loud...
I always recommend the Scythe Mugen-2 (but you didn't want one with the backplate)... It's not that much more expensive than the Hyper 212...
The 212 has a backplate as well, so that sucks I didn't know about the Mugen-2. :(

In any case, if properly installed, your apps shouldn't be freezing... Or you overclocked too much...

Not all apps were freezing, that's the strange part. I have a bunch of apps in my dock, Photoshop, Illustrator, iTunes, Toast Titanium, Garageband, iMovie, iPhoto all froze, but I could launch the other apps such as Safari, Firefox, ut*****t, VLC, Preview, etc.

Start with a stable non-overclocked build (the 212 shouldn't be *that* loud on idle).
Once everything is OK, only then you can consider overclocking (while monitoring temps)...
I started with the settings posted in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4040 (post #2). It seemed to be running ok, but then the apps started to freeze one by one. It all started when I went to File -> Open... I'd have to force quit... any of those apps though, once I went to File -> Open, the app would freeze, as would the others if I tried to use or launch them.

Only then, if it's still loud for you, consider replacing the Cooler and case fans by Scythe Slipstreams, or Noctuas (expensive)...
It's not a constant RPM, which drives me nuts.. I can hear it rev up over and over, even just a little bit, I just find it incredibly annoying. Are there any fans I can replace this one with that's actually silent?

I had to remove the case fan completely because it was hitting the 212.. so there's just a hole where it used to be.

Hmmm...
IIRC that's the one that MacMan uses, and he states it's not loud at all !
Might be an installation issue... :think:
It's not, believe me. I unplugged it just to see what a difference it would make, and it was very noticeable. It's the second loudest fan in the machine. The power supply has the quietest. It's actually 120mm as well, maybe I can get another one like it? Can't replace the video card fan though, which sucks big time. Guess I can't run it without the fan, huh?

:(
Check out my almost-silent (My MBP-17" is louder :lol:) build on my blog...
Also the optimal BIOS settings I posted there should help you squeeze the most out of it.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac
Thanks, I'll check it out....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back