CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a 7 years old i7 3700k with a 16 Gb ram on a Gigabyte MB with liquid cool on a cooler master case. Over a period of time the HDD changed to SSD and now I have one PCIE as well. Today I added a PCI card which was $32 in Amazon and the WiFi and Bluetooth work OOB. Amazing. I mainly use this for LOGIC PRO X and Music production. I am a weekend warrior and could say that am a proAM. Write my music, play and record for my own enjoyment. No commercial aspirations.

The system works like a breeze and with about 40 to 60 tracks most of it VSTs and plugin loaded it gets to about 40% on all the cores. sometimes with a heavy synth it tends to top out but rarely.

My question... I have an opportunity to upgrade to i9 9900k and 32gb in a R6 case state of the art. I know its a silly question, but should upgrade now or wait and not drop a $1000 and focus on my music rather than the upgrade.

This forum has always helped me when I have been at the cross roads. This would be my 3rd build in 10 years.

Appreciate your brutal and honest views. Also how many of you are on this cross roads and struggling sleepless

I have a 7 years old i7 3700k with a 16 Gb ram on a Gigabyte MB with liquid cool on a cooler master case. Over a period of time the HDD changed to SSD and now I have one PCIE as well. Today I added a PCI card which was $32 in Amazon and the WiFi and Bluetooth work OOB. Amazing. I mainly use this for LOGIC PRO X and Music production. I am a weekend warrior and could say that am a proAM. Write my music, play and record for my own enjoyment. No commercial aspirations.

The system works like a breeze and with about 40 to 60 tracks most of it VSTs and plugin loaded it gets to about 40% on all the cores. sometimes with a heavy synth it tends to top out but rarely.

My question... I have an opportunity to upgrade to i9 9900k and 32gb in a R6 case state of the art. I know its a silly question, but should upgrade now or wait and not drop a $1000 and focus on my music rather than the upgrade.

This forum has always helped me when I have been at the cross roads. This would be my 3rd build in 10 years.

Appreciate your brutal and honest views. Also how many of you are on this cross roads and struggling sleepless

If you believe you need the extra performance then you should consider the upgrade.

However, you should consider :
(1) What version of MacOS are you currently running? If you are running an older version (say Yosemite) on your current system you should be aware that you need to upgrade to a newer version (Mojave / Catalina) on a new 9900K system. Will your current software run on the newer MacOS version?
(2) If you elect to upgrade, note that you will have to go through the MacOS installation process again and deal with any problems that may arise. Can you spare the time to do that?

My friends run there studio on 7 year old iMac and 2013 Mac Pro, the iMac is likely weaker then your system and the Mac Pro is likely only marginally faster. I would say if you are only posing 40% of the CPU there is likely no reason to upgrade at this moment.

Now if you want to spend money because well you like new things then go for it.

Yeah. I have known this all along.... if it ain’t broken don’t fix it. I am on Mojave and all my stuff works just fine. Making music has nothing to do with the latest and the greatest... it’s just the overwhelming desire to build something new and feel the accomplishment and gratification. Guess I should spend my time making music. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back