3x GeForce GTX 780
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I'm trying to get RehabMan's attention but I can't send him direct private messages since I have less than 75 posts to this forum. Here it is: I would like to add Intel 10Gbps Ethernet compatibility to my hackintosh. I see you are the author or contributor to many Intel kext adaptation of Linux drivers. I was wondering if there is a reason to chose the Linux drivers over the FreeBSD ones? I thought FreeBSD was closer to Darwin.

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm trying to get RehabMan's attention but I can't send him direct private messages since I have less than 75 posts to this forum. Here it is: I would like to add Intel 10Gbps Ethernet compatibility to my hackintosh. I see you are the author or contributor to many Intel kext adaptation of Linux drivers. I was wondering if there is a reason to chose the Linux drivers over the FreeBSD ones? I thought FreeBSD was closer to Darwin.

Thanks!

I am sure the RehabMan will respond. However have your read this thread?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/156135-intel-network-adapters-os-x-small-tree-drivers.html

As the Small Trees drivers 10 GE are known to be available and in this thread it appears that they were brought up and worked. There is a listing of NICs in the thread.

Gooid modding,
neil

Hello Neil, thanks for your reply. I haven't seen that post before. Thanks for pointing it out. But I did see the Small Tree driver and was wondering if it would be easier to just:

1. Buy and put a Small Tree adapter in my hackintosh with their driver (if it works);
  2. Try to use the Small Tree drivers with Intel hardware (the solution proposed in the thread you showed me);
  3. Port the FreeBSD/Linux driver to Darwin (hence my question here and I'm curious anyways).

So, I'm shopping for information here. ;-)

Thanks!

Vincent

Hello,

Thanks!

I've not ported any network drivers from Linux to OS X... Maybe the reason Linux drivers are chosen is because they might be updated more actively?

At any rate, IOKit is unique and unlike anything Linux/Unix has... so there is always significant work to be doen.

Hello. What got me interested in a fresh port solution is your fork of IntelMausiEthernet.

Linux' in-kernel Intel 10Gb Ethernet driver was last modified in October. Same thing for FreeBSD's.

But I get what you mean and I will stick with the linux tree for now.

Is IntelMausiEthernet the best place to look for adapting a Linux ethernet driver to IOKit?

My chance of success in the short term are close to zero, but I think I will at least be able to ask less stupid questions should I decide to go the Small Tree route.

Thanks,

Vincent

Hello. What got me interested in a fresh port solution is your fork of IntelMausiEthernet.

Linux' in-kernel Intel 10Gb Ethernet driver was last modified in October. Same thing for FreeBSD's.

But I get what you mean and I will stick with the linux tree for now.

Is IntelMausiEthernet the best place to look for adapting a Linux ethernet driver to IOKit?

My chance of success in the short term are close to zero, but I think I will at least be able to ask less stupid questions should I decide to go the Small Tree route.

Thanks,

Vincent

IntelMausiEthernet and RealtekRTL8111 (both Mieze's work) are good examples.

I also try to get 10GbE working in my Hack. I already have installed a 10GbE PCI card from SmallTree and successfully loaded the right kext. Unfortunately I can only choose Gigabit speed in the Hardware settings in Network Preferences. As soon as I choose 10GbaseT, the NIC drops and I don't even get lights on the port on the card itself.

Any clues? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back