Contribute
Register

To re-install Snow Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77 > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm ready to move on to Mavericks as I have it downloaded, but before I do, Im thinking of re-installing Snow Leopard. One of the issues I'm having with it right now is my internet. Many sites, including this one won't completely load. The blue progress bar gets to about 90% and it stops, eventually to where I have to force quit Safari because of non responsiveness. I have a sneaky suspicion I may have gotten something wrong when I ran Multibeast which I discovered later at I read the directions for Mavericks, I shouldn't have run yet. My hope that if I re-installed, that might clear up....check the internet without having run Multibeast.

So....if I do that, my thinking is that I basically want to set up the computer to exactly as it was before I installed the first time, which would include re-formatting my SSD Drive. And, to that end, I'm thinking I would want to install another copy of Snow Leopard on my 2TB storage drive (which I would just use for this operation). And from that, I could safely re-format the SSD drive, clearing it of all data. I could then remove the 2TB drive and I'm back to where I was when I started the installation. Of course, I would also transfer the Mavericks folder to hang on to it and move it back into the new iteration of SL.

Or....am I overthinking this? Can a fresh installation from my Snow Leopard disk clear everything out with just a simple re-installation?

I'm ready to move on to Mavericks as I have it downloaded, but before I do, Im thinking of re-installing Snow Leopard. One of the issues I'm having with it right now is my internet. Many sites, including this one won't completely load. The blue progress bar gets to about 90% and it stops, eventually to where I have to force quit Safari because of non responsiveness. I have a sneaky suspicion I may have gotten something wrong when I ran Multibeast which I discovered later at I read the directions for Mavericks, I shouldn't have run yet. My hope that if I re-installed, that might clear up....check the internet without having run Multibeast.

So....if I do that, my thinking is that I basically want to set up the computer to exactly as it was before I installed the first time, which would include re-formatting my SSD Drive. And, to that end, I'm thinking I would want to install another copy of Snow Leopard on my 2TB storage drive (which I would just use for this operation). And from that, I could safely re-format the SSD drive, clearing it of all data. I could then remove the 2TB drive and I'm back to where I was when I started the installation. Of course, I would also transfer the Mavericks folder to hang on to it and move it back into the new iteration of SL.

Or....am I overthinking this? Can a fresh installation from my Snow Leopard disk clear everything out with just a simple re-installation?

Did you do an upgrade from SL to Mavericks or a fresh install?

Can you get to the app store?

Did you do an upgrade from SL to Mavericks or a fresh install?

Can you get to the app store?

Yes...I can get to the Apple store. The problem that's causing me grief is the fact that this site (Tonymac) won't completely load. And that is the case with some, though not all, sites. My website, for instance, works fine. I think it's best I deal with this before I move on. I got to the Apple store yesterday and downloaded Mavericks which resides in the Install folder in my Applications folder. The icon for the install is also now a part of my dock. I've run the install and it will walk you through all the standard steps and you may think you've installed it, but you'd be wrong about that. If you go to the Apple menu and look at "About this mac" you'd see you're still in 10.6.8. I have a formatted USB drive and the Mavericks folder and from what I can tell, I have everything I need to move forward with the installation, but if this problem follows me into Mavericks, that could be a big problem if I can't load the Tonymac page. I suspect it's a good idea to deal with it now before moving forward.

As I had mentioned, I have my suspicions that I did something wrong when I ran Multibeast and that's really why I wouldn't mind doing a clean re-installation, beginning back when I first installed Snow Leopard and retracing my steps, omitting running Multibeast until I'm in Mavericks. I got to thinking too that when I do anything with Multibeast I should either grab screenshots of everything I do or at least shoot them with my camera.

Well...this is a bit maddening. I re-installed Snow Leopard and discovered that my internet works just fine before the upgrade to 10.6.8 and I have full access to the Tonymac site....no problems. After the update....it's a "no go." I tried making the Unibeast drive on my PowerPC but it wouldn't load on to the flash drive. New game plan:
1. Re install Snow Leopard one more time.
2. Create the Unibeast drive before moving to 10.6.8
3. Upgrade Snow Leopard
4. Install Mavericks.

New game plan:
1. Re install Snow Leopard one more time.
2. Create the Unibeast drive before moving to 10.6.8
3. Upgrade Snow Leopard
4. Install Mavericks.

Better game plan:
1. same as yours
2. update to 10.6.8
3. download ML
4. Create UniBeast USB installer
5. Boot UniBeast installer
6. At Mavericks install page, open disk utility and reformat your drive.
7. Install Mavericks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back