GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
wow. take a break from the osx world , custom arm m1 architecture threatening the future of hackintoshing?

pls help me with too many choices. Ive accumulated too much hardware over the years...

this post is not very well written but I hope it makes sense.

Ive got about 6 options that I can see. Id like to know what will be the most reliable >performance ... 5yr old imac geekbench scores are good enough for me....

this would be for photography and light vidoeo work. maybe dual boot

option 1 i cave to windows and find learn new tools ?

--- ive noticed apple and microsoft team up lately could better iphone apple eco come to windows? are there tools to keep my workflow iphone ipad pc?

option 2 use my old 2010 MacBook which was very serviceable for photo editing.
----- need new battery or some way to tell it to stop throttling cpu , when plugged in

option 3 buy newerish apple hardware? M1 cpu price performance awesome. mac mini seemed like a steal. maybe ivy bridge or better used imac?

option 4 restore or hackintosh hardware that I already have. 3 rigs listed below.

my main rig, dual boot.. msi zboard 11th gen?
----- 64gb ram 16tb ssds rtx 3070

restore a maybe too old hackintosh? . (if i can find the boot drive restore osx Yosemite)
===obviously should be my first option, worry Yosemite , aperture adobe library still supported?
----- ivy bridge 3570k running 4.3ghz gigabyte z77 16gb ram 2tb ssd gtx 670
-----16gb ram maybe 2tb of ssd

last option, hack my old yet very serviceable gaming rig...
---- gigabyte z whatever devil canyon 4690k delid 5 ghz stable ice cold on air.
----16gb ram maybe 2tb of ssd
---- xfx r9 280x that I couldnt get to work with osx back then. might need custom bios?
---- gtx 670 ran otb.

i havent hackentoshed since the newer uefi tool injector came out
well. i tried actually... is the learning curve easier now?

apple official hardware offering great performance and price. hackintosh days numbered???

thanks for putting up with this post

Last edited:
wow. take a break from the osx world , custom arm m1 architecture threatening the future of hackintoshing?

pls help me with too many choices. Ive accumulated too much hardware over the years...

this post is not very well written but I hope it makes sense.

Ive got about 6 options that I can see. Id like to know what will be the most reliable >performance ... 5yr old imac geekbench scores are good enough for me....

option 1 i cave to windows and find learn new tools ?

--- ive noticed apple and microsoft team up lately could better iphone apple eco come to windows? are there tools to keep my workflow iphone ipad pc?

option 2 use my old 2010 MacBook which was very serviceable for photo editing.
----- need new battery or some way to tell it to stop throttling cpu , when plugged in

option 3 buy newerish apple hardware? M1 cpu price performance awesome. mac mini seemed like a steal. maybe ivy bridge or better used imac?

option 4 restore or hackintosh hardware that I already have. 3 rigs listed below.

my main rig, dual boot.. msi zboard 11th gen?
----- 64gb ram 16tb ssds rtx 3070

restore a maybe too old hackintosh? . (if i can find the boot drive restore osx Yosemite)
===obviously should be my first option, worry Yosemite , aperture adobe library still supported?
----- ivy bridge 3570k running 4.3ghz gigabyte z77 16gb ram 2tb ssd gtx 670
-----16gb ram maybe 2tb of ssd

last option, hack my old yet very serviceable gaming rig...
---- gigabyte z whatever devil canyon 4690k delid 5 ghz stable ice cold on air.
----16gb ram maybe 2tb of ssd
---- xfx r9 280x that I couldnt get to work with osx back then. might need custom bios?
---- gtx 670 ran otb.

i havent hackentoshed since the newer uefi tool injector came out
well. i tried actually... is the learning curve easier now?

apple official hardware offering great performance and price. hackintosh days numbered???

thanks for putting up with this post
With the Apple Silicon transition nearing completion (except the still missing Mac Pro) it is clear the days of hackintosh are numbered. If you need to stay with an updated MacOS you will have to move to Apple Silicon eventually.

If you have the budget I think it is best to just get a new Apple Silicon Mac, whatever model it is that suits you.

As for your hackintosh options :
(4) won't work since the RTX 3070 is not supported.
(5) is an old system but is supported up to MacOS Big Sur. MacOS Monterey and Ventura have dropped support for both the GTX 670 and the HD4000 CPU integrated graphics.
(6) may work for a while except for the fact that your XFX card may need custom VBIOS as you said, otherwise it won't work. If you put a GTX 670 in it then it should work up to MacOS Big Sur.

In the end it depends on the version of MacOS you need and the software you use.

option 3 buy newerish apple hardware? M1 cpu price performance awesome. mac mini seemed like a steal.
Get a good price on a refurbished M1 Mac mini and you're good to go. Just make sure you get the 16GB of Ram version. Will make it last much longer.

The 2018 versions let you upgrade the ram up to 64GB but they are Intel based. They could be dropped from support as early as next year. The prices have not come down much either. 2014 versions just got cut off with Ventura. If the M2 Mac mini is released in 2023 it's highly possible support for the Space Gray 2018 minis will end.

Screen Shot 26.jpg
The 2020 Mac mini is much faster than the Intel 6 core.

Last edited:

If your video work involves FCPX, there's simply nothing better than Apple Silicon.

Of course, dual booting in to Windows won't be an option on Apple Silicon, but it seems you have plenty of gear that can run Windows...

I'm with trs96, look for a good deal on an Apple refurbished M1 Mac mini. I've seen some really great deals.

Apple is getting more aggressive in regard to dropping support for Intel Macs. We've already gotten an M2 Macbook Air in 2022 so that tells me that the 2018 MBA will be dropped in 2023. The 2018 mini will likely be dropped. So that means all 2017 models and probably 2018 Macs as well. This includes all the 8th gen Coffee Lake based MBP laptops that had a touchbar and the infamous "butterfly switch" keyboards.

Screen Shot 27.jpg

The 2019 Mac Pro and 2019 and newer iMacs will all keep support. Then in 2024 it's possible all Intel Macs get dropped or they could still support 2019/20 Macs for that one last year. No one really knows, unless they work in the department at Apple that plans for things like this.

When you look back at 2020, Apple released quite a few new Intel Macs that will certainly get macOS 14 support in 2023. That would be the bare minimum three years of OS support that Apple historically has provided. The average has been five years.

In March, three new MBAs were released.

Screen Shot 30.jpg

In May, four 13" Intel MBPs...

Screen Shot 29.jpg

Six Intel based iMacs in August of 2020..
Screen Shot 31.jpg

Then the first M1 Macs got released in early November of 2020.

Building a 10th gen Intel hackintosh could still get you two years of support but after that it doesn't look promising. For those that aren't required to run the latest macOS version, a tenth gen or newer hackintosh (at a fair price) can get you more than two years of use. Apple should continue security patches for a couple of years after the last 2020 Intel Mac loses support. That's the short term picture for macOS hardware support.

Last edited:
Now You can install Iphone/Ipad apps on your mac, but only for Mx processors, and the near end of support for intel. If I 'd have to buy one today would be an original mac, imac mini M1, in second hand, as a cheap option or a macbook pro 14 inch, and then a NAS, to put there the storage data. Macbook pro is enough power, silent, and can work as a portable device and a homebase with the lid closed. Choose wisely!

Apple should make an ITX version motherboard with silicon processors for the DIY consumers. I would pay for a M2 MacMini or more if it was expandable for ram and had SATA ports. Missing a big market, I think - look at Henry Ford and the Model A / T. Don't care about the exterior package, just let me drop it into my current case and allow me to have the flexibility to upgrade it myself.

If the M2 Mac mini is released in 2023 it's highly possible support for the Space Gray 2018 minis will end.
With the release of M2 minis this week, say goodbye to support for the 2018 models with the release of macOS 14 later this year. They can still run Ventura for a very long time with no problems.

Apple should make an ITX version motherboard with silicon processors for the DIY consumers. I would pay for a M2 MacMini or more if it was expandable for ram and had SATA ports. Missing a big market, I think - look at Henry Ford and the Model A / T. Don't care about the exterior package, just let me drop it into my current case and allow me to have the flexibility to upgrade it myself.
It would be no longer Apple.

Apple will lose money this way. They won't do it and getting driver support for various video cards and other cards won't be easy or impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back