Contribute
Register

Time to upgrade from High Sierra to 13 maybe?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 6
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
My High Sierra box has been rock solid since I built it 6 years ago - but today Firefox announced that High Sierra systems would have to use an extended support release. I was debating on going back to Linux - but MacOS is so pretty and easy as a desktop.

I know that I'll need to upgrade my video card to a compatible Radeon - but is that all?
I'm debating on trying to do an in-place upgrade or just buy a new harddrive and start fresh, then move everything over.

I know similar questions have been asked, but none seemed to be directly related to what I want to do.
Thanks!

My High Sierra box has been rock solid since I built it 6 years ago - but today Firefox announced that High Sierra systems would have to use an extended support release. I was debating on going back to Linux - but MacOS is so pretty and easy as a desktop.

I know that I'll need to upgrade my video card to a compatible Radeon - but is that all?
I'm debating on trying to do an in-place upgrade or just buy a new harddrive and start fresh, then move everything over.

I know similar questions have been asked, but none seemed to be directly related to what I want to do.
Thanks!
you could use your integrated graphics and go up to Monterey (even Ventura if you spoof it to a kabylake system)

If you don't like the latest versions of macOS upgrade to Catalina with your HD530 iGPU. Remove the 960.

Last edited:

Thanks!
The Firefox ESR 115 (Extended Support Release) will allow you to continue to use Firefox with up-to-date security updates until September 2024 :

So you can still continue to run High Sierra using Firefox ESR until September next year if you want to. I am, and have been, running Firefox ESR for years myself with no issues.

So my suggestion is to keep your High Sierra installation running Firefox ESR and experiment with an updated MacOS in your convenient time.

Back