1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Howdy folks. Sorry I've been a stranger.

It seems like the time has come for my monster build to get replaced. I'm trying to decide just what I'm going to replace it with.

With YouTubing now my primary income stream (and a potential big-name client in the process of discussing licensing deals for one of my shows) I need a rig that's stupidly fast, capable and can give me the editing speed I really need.

This includes being able to cope with Thunderbolt devices (I have a thunderbolt external drive) as well as dealing with a decent, fast internal RAID setup (Currently, I have two RAID0 drives running for video B-Roll etc totaling 20 TB, plus another 20 TB worth of non-RAID drives).

My current machine is doing a decent enough job, but the GTX 660 is a PITA when it comes to FCPX work. It's just too slow, and is a real bottleneck. Given that I'm doing Chroma Key stuff on a daily basis, I need to make sure that whatever I replace my system with can handle high-quality plug-ins, as well as 4k video as I'm just starting to shoot in 4k (although not uploading in 4k at the moment as my machine isn't capable of it).

I also keep Windows 10 on one drive, and when I'm done working (I work from home) I'd love to switch into Windows so I can thrash a couple of rounds of Overwatch... and iRacing.

I've got a couple of choices here, and I'm going to walk them through.

Choice number 1: Z170X-UD5-TH, with either a sixth or seventh generation unlocked i7. Throw in a nice RX 480 for video editing (maybe two) and I'll have a nice powerful system with 32 GB RAM. RX480 choice TBC.

Choice number 2: Z270X-UD5. Comes with Thunderbolt 3 as standard, plus plenty of expandability. Plus RX480 for video editing...

Choice number 3: Z270X- Gaming 9 - Cooling extras, plus Thunderbolt 3. Easily pushed to extremes for video editing. Plus RX480 for video editing...

Variants to the first three choices: As above, but with the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti... or two, if I can get the system to play nice. I could hang around forever for the 10xx support, but... I've lost faith :( My wife just built a gaming rig with a Z170X UD5 and 1080... I am Jelly..)

Choice number 4: Buy an old trash can (entry level) and upgrade its processor, then max out ram and use external Thunderbolt chassis for RX 480 or similar. And shell out a lot on a Thunderbolt RAID array. Pro to this would be that I could take the graphics card and RAID with me when using my MBP Retina 2014...

Thoughts?

Nikki.

Hey aminor - have followed(lurked) your posts for years...

an interesting dilemma for choices... 170 or 270... I'm in the same place as yourself - nursing two older maxed out UP5-th systems with 660 gfx cards - non-osmosis, but they are ddst and ssdt tweaked, running 10.12.4.... however, it's time to move on due to cumulative hardware bottlenecks with ram, gfx, cpu, TB speed, etc...

I prefer exclusively gigabyte, and love the 170 for two TB ports - instead of only one TB port on 270, but also looking down the road for headroom and the longevity that the 270 may provide... like yourself I rely upon TBstorage (20+TB) and also need to bounce back and forth between win, unix, linux and macos (I use boot SSDs on removable sleds to avoid cross contamination, but that's my own personal paranoia) ... would love to compare notes... I will be building two identical systems, well, just because...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back