Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just bought a new 2TB WD Passport, USB 3.0.
I tested a few folders and the speed is great compared to 2.0. Ok, moving along.

Started a time machine backup, all is going well. Looks like it should be done in about 30-40 minutes.

It gets stuck at 64.72 of 223gb and comes to a craaaawl. It stays on 64.72gb for 10-15 minutes (so far) but the number of files remaining slowly drop (about 10 files per 5-6 seconds.) It's moved over 400 files yet still reports 64.72gb remaining, and the time remaining has climbed to over an hour.

There are several variables in this equation, and I was hoping to get some insight in troubleshooting this.
1. Hackintosh USB 3.0 issues?
2. New drive causing issues?
3. Corrupted data on local drive?

Another thing worth noting- I stopped the Time Machine backup, formatted the USB drive, and started the process all over again. It stopped at the same point as the first time (64.72 gb)

Any ideas or suggestions?

Ok... literally a few seconds after I submitted that post it started moving. Now we're up to 68gb transferred. It's picked back up and moving pretty quick.

Now I'm concerned of data corruption on the original drive... is this a valid concern? And if so- is there a good utility to check disks for errors (aside from Disk Utility...)

Specs:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Core i7 3770K
16gb ram
128gb ssd boot drive
1tb storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back